Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So I kind of have an issue getting the bike back together.
Good luck.
I too learned a bit more about winding a stator..
if it ever comes to it, I'll closely observe which direction the windings are wound
Hey bud, I have a question about the cdi. So since I have the original stator once again , is it possible to hook up that second gen cdi to it? If so my problem is with the wiring. First off the connector to the cdi is lost. I don't know where I set it down. But on the picture you sent it shows that the 2 pin connector has a red and black wire coming from the exciter. On my stator I do not have the red and black. My stator has 3 yellow then the white and the blue wires. I know you said connect the ground to the kick stand wire but which one should be the exciter?

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
from what i could gather is that the 83 cm250 stator, the white and the blue wires coming from the stator are used to power the cdi in the same fashion that the red/black wire from a newer stator does. would it be possible to just connect those 2 wires or if i did, what would even happen?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,569 Posts
I haven't seen a kickstand interlock on bikes earlier than 1990s..
Looking at CM250 wiring diagram the Green/White is ground for Blue/Yellow pulse generator trigger winding..
(Addendum)
you would need to T off the Green/White connecting a jumper directly to frame ground to use 2nd gen cdi..

Here is the rub, your have Two Separate Exciter circuits from stator.. One with Blue the other with White insulation.. either of these would be the equivalent of 2nd gen Red/Black cdi circuit..
As a complete guess I'd use the Blue stator wire as higher voltage output would be created by both coils in series as magnet passes by and terminate/tape up end of White wire..

The three Yellow wires feed voltage to regulator/rectifier to charge battery.. They have nothing to do with cdi..

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thanks for the response. I'm going to try that out, but yes you were right about the kickstand switch. It doesn't have one. And just for a little extra food for thought. 83 cm250 cdi has 4 pins in one connector then 3 pins in another. As you know, the newer cdi has 4 pins then 2 pins, my question for that is in the 4 pin side of the cdi, would it be the same wire setup for both of the cdi's? Or did honda switch up the configuration as they became newer?

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,609 Posts
Well good news and bad news. Bad news is bike was recovered. Not by police but found on the side of the road. Not sure what they did aside from ruin my day but almost everything seems intact besides the seat missing. Luckily I got a spare. Now for the good news. I was able to get some money together from a side job to buy the parts I actually need for the dang thing. Keep a look out for a page called " there is no I in parallelogram" just kidding itll be called "someguys cm250"
I was thinking about the recent debacle when the bike was stolen. I was wondering if you had the steering locked if they'd have still taken it. Anything to make it harder. We all know that thieves HATE anything that makes work. Thieves are lazy, that's why they try to make money off of someone else's work.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,569 Posts
refer to 2nd gen cdi image in post #20 of this thread
Connect Green/White from your CM250 stator to Green/White as indicated on 2nd gen cdi image with added jumper to ground per my addendum I noted above. This will cause cdi to think side stand is up as well as providing ground for pulse generator..
Green ground will also need to be connected to the other cdi terminal..
I have seen complaints from aftermarket 2nd gen cdi buyers that the Black/White kill circuit and Red/Black power supply needed to be swapped to get cdi to work..

I'm not familiar with original pin-out of 7 terminal CM250 cdi. The 4 pin connector is has slightly different pin-out between 1st and 2nd CMX250 Rebel generations..
It appears your 4pin CM250 connector follows same wiring disign as 2nd gen cdi

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I was thinking about the recent debacle when the bike was stolen. I was wondering if you had the steering locked if they'd have still taken it. Anything to make it harder. We all know that thieves HATE anything that makes work. Thieves are lazy, that's why they try to make money off of someone else's work.
I didn't think I had to lock it though. It was inside my garage. They grabbed the release cable and unlocked the door to raise it up

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
refer to 2nd gen cdi image in post #20 of this thread
Connect Green/White from your CM250 stator to Green/White as indicated on 2nd gen cdi image with added jumper to ground per my addendum I noted above. This will cause cdi to think side stand is up as well as providing ground for pulse generator..
Green ground will also need to be connected to the other cdi terminal..
I have seen complaints from aftermarket 2nd gen cdi buyers that the Black/White kill circuit and Red/Black power supply needed to be swapped to get cdi to work..

I'm not familiar with original pin-out of 7 terminal CM250 cdi. The 4 pin connector is has slightly different pin-out between 1st and 2nd CMX250 Rebel generations..
It appears your 4pin CM250 connector follows same wiring disign as 2nd gen cdi
Ok thank you, Once again. I really appreciate the response and knowledge. I was actually running through ebay pages looking at wire harnesses to see how they went, but 1 of 2 things keep happening. 1 the listing is wrong with what application they put the part under. Or 2, they haven't figured out how to take a damn picture

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,569 Posts
Looks like the Black/White kill circuit is in the 4 pin connector of the CM250 while it goes to the 2 pin connector of both cmx250 generations..

Product Schematic Rectangle Font Line

I too have searched for 7 pin cdi information with little result..

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been sick. But turns out my regulator gave out and I am waiting for a replacement. I'm just hoping this newer cdi works or if I need to get an original I'm screwed. They are not cheap and not in production anymore. I'll update in a day or so

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
just for closure for anyone reading this thread. on the cm250 if need be when looking for a new stator and cant find the oem, just use the magneto and stator from a newer generation rebel 96-20xx(cant remember if its 2016 or not).
eliminate using the white wire on the harness side of the connector. and connect the black/red wire from the stator to the blue wire on the harness. as for the cdi either use the existing one or if needing to change that, a newer gen rebel cdi will work all the same. currently i am using the seven wire cdi with a newer gen stator and everything is working as it should be

·
Super Moderator
31,147 Posts
By "newer gen rebel", I assume you are referring to the 1985-87 and 1996-2016 models, correct?"

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,609 Posts
I think that he means 2nd generation only. Because he said 96-20xx. At least that goes for the alternator. The terminology in the context remaining the same, sounds like the CDI is 2nd generation as well.

·
Registered
83 Honda CM250C
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
By "newer gen rebel", I assume you are referring to the 1985-87 and 1996-2016 models, correct?"
Emil is correct. 1996-2016. I only say that generation of rebel because that's what I was given to work with. I assume the first gen( 85-87) would work as well, but not using it in the bike, I would just be guessing

41 - 54 of 54 Posts