Honda Rebel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 200 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
If you are going to tear it down that far a whole bunch more parts should be replaced also and usually a good used motor will cost less than a complete rebuild.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I'm really sorry you're so far away. This is the kind of project that at one time called for advice and moral support. At this point it calls for good friends, good beer, and perhaps "what happened in the shop stays in the shop".:whistling: Wish I could be there with you for the rest.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Sorry this has turned into such a frustrating experience for you. At this point I am just curious as to how that flywheel is stuck on there and WHY would anybody do that?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
A good used motor is just to cheap to keep investing the time equity you are spending. The only reason I see for continuing this project is to satisfy your curiosity. Start shopping around/watching for a motor deal. ;)

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
A good used motor is just to cheap to keep investing the time equity you are spending. The only reason I see for continuing this project is to satisfy your curiosity. Start shopping around/watching for a motor deal. ;)
I think those are words of wisdom. A new motor would put you back on the street and with a little detailing over the winter you could recoup a higher % of your time/money in the spring if you are still of a mind to do something different than if you continue throwing time and money into what is looking more and more like a lost cause. :frown: :banghead:

That is unless you are interested in a career change to a Rebel mechanic. You obviously have the patience an persistence needed. I admire your tenacity. I'd have got a Lot Bigger Hammer on the job by now. ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think we're going to look into cutting the thing off. I'm not sure about the motor thing, I really don't want to give up on my bike, I've gotten used to telling people to stuff it when they say it's too beat up our broken. Also, the cost of buying a different engine and not knowing what's wrong with it... I've bought my share of other people's problems so far, lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm really sorry you're so far away. This is the kind of project that at one time called for advice and moral support. At this point it calls for good friends, good beer, and perhaps "what happened in the shop stays in the shop".:whistling: Wish I could be there with you for the rest.
There's been plenty of beer and my friends Shelley has been around, which is nice. Actually, I need to go back to the store lol

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
I decided to buy a used engine from Pinwall cycle when my original crankshaft broke off just behind the flywheel. (That's why I had a spare flywheel lying around) .
My engine came from a low mileage wreck and they had a video of the engine running in the wrecked frame as well as a shot of the odometer (2500 miles or so) . I have 9000 km on it since then, and it is a great engine. I just did the dawn to dusk rally here in the maritimes with it a couple of weeks ago (720 kms mostly flat out) and it worked great and used no oil that I could detect.
Of course YMMV with a used engine but Pinwall crated it up well in a wooden box and I had a positive experience with them. The engine seems to be very strong.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I decided to buy a used engine from Pinwall cycle when my original crankshaft broke off just behind the flywheel. (That's why I had a spare flywheel lying around) .
My engine came from a low mileage wreck and they had a video of the engine running in the wrecked frame as well as a shot of the odometer (2500 miles or so) . I have 9000 km on it since then, and it is a great engine. I just did the dawn to dusk rally here in the maritimes with it a couple of weeks ago (720 kms mostly flat out) and it worked great and used no oil that I could detect.
Of course YMMV with a used engine but Pinwall crated it up well in a wooden box and I had a positive experience with them. The engine seems to be very strong.
lol I was wondering how you ended up with a spare flywheel, but I thought maybe you had a parts bike laying around.

I've had good experiences with Pinwall, they sold me my "new" brake caliper. I can stop better now. :) If I buy an engine from them, then they'd be in driving distance, saving the $$$ for shipping.

I think the first step is getting the flywheel off, and then putting the bike back together. Surprisingly the sidecover gasket was still in one piece.

I'll clean the oil screen, see how the engine does after that. Plus, the new piston rings might have something to do with the shavings on there.

I might be buying a friend's Savage, not 100% sure yet.

I've got a ticking sound to deal with, too, which is probably (maybe?) not related to the oil seal, but I think it might have been the valves being upset about not having oil anymore when I dumped the oil everywhere.

Can I throw any year engine in there?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I think we're going to look into cutting the thing off. I'm not sure about the motor thing, I really don't want to give up on my bike, I've gotten used to telling people to stuff it when they say it's too beat up our broken. Also, the cost of buying a different engine and not knowing what's wrong with it... I've bought my share of other people's problems so far, lol

I sold two motors this summer, an 06 with 2200 miles for $200, and an 87 with 5000 miles for $150. Both buyers even called me backed and thanked me again. Funny thing is, I made money on both. IF ya do buy a motor, a compressoin test will tell wonders. ;)

·
Registered
13,265 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Can I throw any year engine in there?
Yes, to a point.

You will need the upper mount brackets from a second gen to fit a second gen engine but it does fit.

·
Registered
277 Posts
No , New piston rings don't make shavings..
Can't blame me for grasping at straws, lol.

I sold two motors this summer, an 06 with 2200 miles for $200, and an 87 with 5000 miles for $150. Both buyers even called me backed and thanked me again. Funny thing is, I made money on both. IF ya do buy a motor, a compressoin test will tell wonders. ;)
Good to know!

Yes, to a point.

You will need the upper mount brackets from a second gen to fit a second gen engine but it does fit.
I'll make sure I get that, then.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Good luck wished!!

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
I'm pretty anxious to see what's under that flywheel.

101 - 120 of 200 Posts