Honda Rebel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
This past weekend was the weekend I had planned on doing this challenge. But I had my dad's truck and was doing some repair to it before having to take it back to him. If I had not, the weather was PERFECT for doing that challenge. Let's hope the weather is good on 4/11 weekend.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
In the midst of all this virus pandemic crap going on, I am changing employers. My last day is on 4/17. So, I am within my 2 week notice period right now. I was thinking, I've got at least a couple days to take off. I might take off this Thursday and Friday, and do this fuel range challenge then. 4/9 going up there and 4/11 or 12 riding back. That's just 3 days from now.

That means, I've got to get The Piglet cleaned up, and top the fuel off to the point it's bulging at the seams (and leaky at the lid :)). If the weather is good I may just gitter done … been real nice here lately.

I wonder if this is essential travel? I am going to help my old man, the range challenge is secondary. I can wear a bandana over my face like a bandit (under my helmet)! That'll save my life won't it? :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
No worries, I've always though an aluminum fuel tank with heatsinks fins would cool the fuel nicely at speed, I'm sure it would be easy enough to simulate in the lab and take some measurements.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Alan and smoking - I'm just theorizing here. Let's say the bike sits overnight. Everything cools down. Down to what? To ambient temperature. So let's say it's 65° in my garage. I believe the fuel would be ~65°. It's usually cooler outside than my garage overnight, early morning. And then cooler in my garage during the daytime.

If you stuck a fuel line out in airflow, it still would not get any cooler than ambient. How would there be any gains in that case?

Another scenario: Let's say the bike was ridden for a while and then the bike parked out in the sunshine. The heat from the engine is going to tend to warm the tank. So will the sunshine. Let's say the gas gets up to 100° (I seriously doubt it would). Then you ride the bike in 80° weather and flow fuel through that fuel line out in the wind. A 20° drop in fuel temperature (best case) is not likely to net anything measurable … in my opinion.

I'm not an expert. I'm not trying to be a "know it all." Because I sure don't. But I don't see this as a mod worth doing … and it would look kind of silly to have a hose hanging out in the wind like that. It is a good thought. Thoughts like that are how innovation happens.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
P.S. - The weather is not looking good for a Thursday through Sunday ride. We're 2 days out from Thursday. Things could change.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fingers crossed for your Thursday weather!

I'm also no expert, collecting lots of data would be necessary in any event. Airflow is how radiators and oil coolers make a difference against engine heat, fans controlled by thermostats are sometimes used too.
*Being no expert and having projects that I'm genuinely making progress on for the first time in a decade, I'm tempted to do some research along these lines, I'm sure the data is indexed somewhere out there on the interwebs but it'll have to wait.

Has anyone else been seeing gas prices dropping to early 1990s levels?

·
Super Moderator
29,169 Posts
IIRC, gas prices locally ($1.40) haven't been this low since before the 1990's. Combine over supply with weak demand (folks working from home, others out of work, not travelling, etc.) and prices will fall.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yep, after this is all over it seems some things will become the new norm. Working from home, learning from home, driving less, social distancing, some will even continue to wear masks and gloves.

Thankfully the hand washing habit will be well set in the minds of those who weren't already doing it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Tomorrow is the day. No rushing off in the morning. Gonna check the tire pressures, fill the 12 oz gatorade bottle with non-ethanol 90 octane, and maybe wash the bike. Might leave about 9 or 10 am.

No worries about getting there. Its the way back I'll be sweating. I will probably come back on Saturday because the weather looks bad for Sunday, but will play it by ear.

Look how full I got the tank. Must be 2.75 gallons! Leaving after 8 am, I should miss the rush of what little traffic there is. I'll be rolling stops when clear and pulling every trick in the book. And no rev matching down shifts. Just gonna let it coast, pull the clutch, let it idle until I select the appropriate gear to accelerate again.

I'll try to get some interesting pictures or video. But once I start rolling I'm going to try to make it without stopping. Too many Zombies out there.

102 mpg! Can I do it?!?!?!

The odometer as The Piglet is ready for this challenge.

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
It took me 3.75 hours to get here. I opened the tank and sloshed it around and it seemed lower than I had hoped. Not looking good to make it home.

·
Super Moderator
29,169 Posts
Hope there are sufficient gas stations along the return route. You're going to need at least one...…….;):flowers:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
There a lots of gas stations along the way. Especially in the vicinity of Atlanta. That's the problem. This may be the shortest route, but it is not rural enough. Too dangerous to do 50 mph on the interstate.

I'm going to plum run the bike out of gas. I'll notate the trip meter at the switch to reserve. And I'll photo the trip meter when it is plum empty. Just before the zombies get me. That bottle of fuel should get me 7 to 9 miles. Which will be plenty to get me to a gas station.

I have another problem. I can only imagine this problem is due to the RAW POWER of this beast of a motorcycle, but as I was driving along my way up to my Paw's house, my license plate decided to go for a Happy Meal, and was lost along the way. The upper corners of the plate were obliged to remain.

I called my county tag office yesterday. They have another tag shipped to my house, free. But I still got to wade through the zombies on the way home. Hopefully if I get stopped by the law, I can explain my way out of it. Also, I don't remember the part behind the tag having that upside down U-shape to it (the shape the exposes the massive rear tire as shown in my picture). I felt of that shape, it didn't feel broken off, it felt smooth, as if it was molded to that shape. I just don't remember it. Correct me if it indeed was broke off.

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
A shot in the dark...

Let me do some math. I think reserve kicks in with 0.6 gallons left in the tank. But let's say 0.5 gallons just to be safe. And let's say I'm getting 90 mpg (I hope). If I can go 100 miles toward home before switching to reserve, then I have a chance in making it.

Maybe I have a shot in the dark … because there did seem to be about a gallon or more left in the tank.

7milesout

·
Super Moderator
29,169 Posts
That's the correct shape for the license bracket. There are two ways to avoid having the license plate vibrate to pieces. 1. Don't tighten the plate to the bracket beyond snug (Duckster's method), or 2. Place a stiff backing plate between the license plate and the bracket (flitecontrol's method). I'm sure Duckster's method works, but I was never sure how much tightening would be too much. I suspect putting some rubber spacers between the plate and bracket would further reduce vibration.

I use old aluminum signs that are about 1/8" thick to make backer plates. With social distancing, I have lots of time at home, so I'm going to make a limited time offer: I'll make backer plates for members (until I run out of material!). Cost will be $3 plus the actual shipping costs. While these fit in a letter size envelope, the post office charges several dollars for shipping because the envelope can't be run through their automated sorting machines. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I might be customer #1. Let me get the new plate when I get home and study it.

Today is the ride home. Probably leave between noon and 1 pm. I figure to be out of gas at about 3 to 3:30. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good luck 7!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Stories...

Zombie readers: I’m gonna post it in story format to make it more interesting and easier to read.

There are some interesting things that came from this ride home. There are some things you may not believe, and then there are some disappointments.

It makes for a more interesting read to split them up, into stories. So … here it goes!

7milesout

61 - 80 of 95 Posts