Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
CMX 250, 1996
70 Posts
Okay, and the test you have to pass is a theoretical test or a practical test?

In Germany you have practical and theoretical lessons both about 20 Hours ( could be a bit different nowadays).
Practice including City, Highway and Interstate riding.
Then you have to pass a Test on both of them.
Practical test involves, besides the riding it self,
Full-Force breaking from 30 mph, Braking and Evading at 30mph, Slalom at about 18 mph, turning in circles and maybe some other stuff I have forgotten.
You fail at one of them you must take more lessons and try another day.
If you under the Age of 25 you are limited on 48HP
( 34 HP when I made my license) for two years.

Don't saying it has to be that way everywhere or that this way ist the best, but after you got the license you definitely can ride a bike.
Far away from being a master of course, but you pretty good to go.

Being able to legally ride any bike, with zero experience, sounds "brave" to say it nicely.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,601 Posts
Here in Ohio, (this varies from State to State), there is a written test for your temporary license, that takes about 20 minutes tops to complete. You are then allowed to ride during dry, daylight hours, without a passenger & must wear a helmet. Some people continue to renew their temporary license over and over for many years whatever without ever getting the actual full endorsement.
Then there is the riding part of the test, to get your full endorsement/license. This is done in a parking lot. It is only a maneuverability and quick stopping. You can make a certain number of mistakes and still pass.
I believe they count as a certain number of points for each mistake. I think six points and you fail. But also it is been an awful long time since I've taken the test.
The MSF course is only 16 hours long altogether. It includes both classroom & the actual riding primarily focused on low speed maneuvers.

Reactions: Kreuzi

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,601 Posts
There is however a separate license or endorsement, if you have a three-wheeled motorcycle. And I believe if you have a sidecar. Other than that it's just the one though.

·
Super Moderator
32,764 Posts
The "test' varies between states. Pretty much all states require a written test. Some states require completing a training course, others have a skills test on an obstacle course, and then there is my enlightened state of Louisiana. My skill test consisted of riding around the block with the examiner waiting in the parking lot. For most of the test, the examiner couldn't see me! I suppose they assume you didn't drop the bike if you get back to the parking lot in a reasonable amount of time. Most riders in Louisiana do not take a training course. This leads to a disproportionate number of motorcycle accidents.

Upon passing my test, I could legally ride any size bike.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Just an update.
In Ohio they also have a motor scooter license. This is for a motorcycle with a flat place to put your feet & a displacement of between 50 and a 100 CCs.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts