Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but after quite a while searching I'm tearing my hair out and the wife is ready to kill me.

I can't seem to find the part # for the crankshaft oil seal on Partzilla for a 2007. If anyone has it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm a new Rebel owner and way overfilled the oil on my last change because I'm a dumbass (please don't shame me), resulting in a catastrophic oil leak on my left side. My wife and I pulled the crank case, are currently stuck on pulling the flywheel because we bought the wrong part, and are looking for the seal I likely need to replace when the flywheel finally does come off (I have the Motion Pro 08-0027 on order so please correct me if that's not the right puller). I just need the seal and advice on how to remove the oil from inside the crank case, stator, etc (anything that I, a dumbass, could forget to thing of).

It's been a long day and I would greatly appreciate any help you can give!

·
Super Moderator
29,467 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, flitecontrol.

An update for anyone curious: we got the flywheel off with no trouble once we got the puller, but managed to put the flywheel on incorrectly resulting in damage to the stator when we tried to start the bike. This is working out to be a very expensive screw-up! Does anyone have a decent online source for used parts?

I did say I wanted to learn this bike inside and out...

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Are you sure the stator is bad? Looks like only the insulation was peeled back a little. If no wires are broken, should be good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure the stator is bad? Looks like only the insulation was peeled back a little. If no wires are broken, should be good.
I'm not getting anything when I look for a spark off the spark plugs, so the newly damaged stator is my best guess. If you can think of anything else to check I'd appreciate the advice! If you can't tell from my snafu I'm a novice mechanic.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
When you take off the case cover there is a wire with a lot of insulation stripped off that looks like a ground wire. When you put the case cover back on, if any of that wire is touching the case it will ground out and stop ignition. Pull the case cover off and make sure to stuff that wire into the rubber grommet so it's not touching any metal. I think you will be good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you take off the case cover there is a wire with a lot of insulation stripped off that looks like a ground wire. When you put the case cover back on, if any of that wire is touching the case it will ground out and stop ignition. Pull the case cover off and make sure to stuff that wire into the rubber grommet so it's not touching any metal. I think you will be good.
Hmm, the only one that was noticeably uninsulated was the green & red, which should go to the clutch switch (I put a little black tape on it for now)... I'll have to take another look in the daylight. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
29,467 Posts
If you determine you need a new stator, I saw that ebay has quite a few used ones, and a bunch of Chinese made new ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, guys. Further update: ordered a new stator, but decided to try to screw around with the old one while I wait. I picked up some liquid tape and covered the exposed copper on the stator coils. The resistance now comes in at about 0.06 ohms. I also put some liquid tape on the green & red wire that was exposed. Tried to get it to turn over, but I'm still not getting any spark. I forgot to pick up a gap measuring tool, but I'm pretty sure I haven't messed that part up. I'm thinking a wire busted in one of the stator coils after all.

This might be a stupid question, but could I have messed up the timing on the cylinders in the process of removing and replacing the flywheel by rotating the camshaft?

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
The flywheel is keyed, so nothing would be messed up in that regard.

Resistance should be .2 - .6 ohms. So I'm not sure if your reading the meter correct (common) or your getting a an actual bad reading.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everything, guys. Final update: put the new stator in and it started right up. Took it a few miles up the road and looked for leaks and nada! Ended up riding 75 miles and everything seems good.

Moral of the story, try not to be a dumbass.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Good to hear everything's good!

The real moral of the story is...don't overfill the crank with oil. Many of us here didn't know how much was too much and how to actually read the dip stick until the seal blows out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts