Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmmm, I'm going to try charging it for one hour to see what happens. If it is a dead battery, can anyone recommend a good battery? Also is a lithium ion battery an option for a 2015 Rebel 250?
I was having your same Issue this Summer and Purchased a few New Batteries from Local Stores and Still was having the same Problem
SoakedKarma suggested I purchase a Yuasa Battery
I purchased online got it a few days later Filled and slow charged for 2 days Installed on the 3rd day Bike started on first try ALL other Lighting and Electrical Issues were Gone and She's had NO Problems Since!!!!
I would Suggest avoid the wasted time and Purchase a Yuasa Battery and be Problem Free

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok, so I charged the battery at 2amps for 3 hours. Charged fully, ran it for a while then shut it off, then started it again. Did this a few times. No issues.
I took it for a ride, got back and no issues, also installed a tender. I'm going to see if it holds up the next few days. I'm checking out that link for the batteries.
So far so good but if need be I'll try a new battery. The one in there is a parts plus. Not sure if that's generic or something.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,222 Posts
I can vouch for lithium batteries! I'm hooked and they are worth the price.
Rather pointless in my area as they can't be charged below 32°F (0°C) without seriously damaging the cells.. A good BMS installed within battery case will prevent cells from being charged during freezing temperatures.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Rebel 250
96 Posts
A bad battery may show full voltage after being charged for a while, but when you place a load on it, like the lights or starter, it will drop like a rock. With a good, fully charged battery, it will usually show slightly under 12V at idle, because the lights and ignition system is consuming more power than the charging system is putting out. Rev it up to about 3000 rpm and it should show 14V or very close if the charging system is working. I just recently replaced the battery in mine. It had a Bikemaster battery in it when I got it, which is a fairly cheap brand. I replaced it with one of these. Xtreme Z7S 12V 130CCA AGM Powersport Battery - CYLAZ7SXTA at Batteries Plus Bulbs I keep both my bikes on battery tenders all the time. They make batteries last a lot longer. Yuasa makes good batteries, but I would have had to order one, and there was a Batteries Plus store just down the street.

·
Super Moderator
31,959 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,222 Posts
Do you mean I shouldn't have it on tender when it's freezing out?
an AGM or Flooded Lead Acid is fine on a tender in freezing conditions..

A Lithium battery shouldn't be charged in freezing weather..
Tesla heats the battery coolant prior to charging taking place, they call it battery preconditioning..
Regenerative charging won't take place if battery pack is below 0°C (32°F)

·
Registered
2012 Honda Rebel 250
96 Posts
Yeah, it was expensive. But I use my Rebel for going back and forth to work, and I needed it fast. I've had pretty good luck with Batteries Plus batteries. I have one in my truck to. They seem to be better than AutoZone batteries. A lead acid battery, which also includes AGM batteries, needs to be on a tender/maintainer even more when it is cold. It will actually help prevent the battery from freezing. But freezing is not something I need to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
31,959 Posts
I have to say that the Batteries Plus batteries seem to be good quality.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,222 Posts
Had Yuasa battery that lasted 7 years to the month outdoors winter and summer that was never on a maintainer.
Batteries Plus version lasted less than 3 years
Now I have 5 years on another Yuasa YB9L-B..
I wouldn't buy another batteries plus battery for any reason..
I'm in need of replacing 14 year old RV coach deep cycle battery bank that started going bad this past summer..
I blame myself for their failure as I hadn't done a water level or load check the last 2 years..
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Audio equipment Gas Musical instrument

·
Registered
2002 Honda rebel 250
214 Posts
an AGM or Flooded Lead Acid is fine on a tender in freezing conditions..

A Lithium battery shouldn't be charged in freezing weather..
Tesla heats the battery coolant prior to charging taking place, they call it battery preconditioning..
Regenerative charging won't take place if battery pack is below 0°C (32°F)
I have a gel battery, is it okay to keep on tender below freezing?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,222 Posts
yes your gel battery can be kept on a good maintainer/tender in freezing conditions..

at and below freezing temperatures the lithium in Li Ion batteries plates itself to the surface of the cell anode..
The lithium plating forms a barrier reducing battery capacity that can't be reversed..

On the other hand Lead acid, AGM, or Gel batteries sulfate, loosing capacity if stored in a low charged state.. during discharge sulfur crystals form a crust on cell plates that are dissolved back into solution as battery is charged.. thus It's best to keep Gel batteries fully charged.

More information on Gel batteries can can be found at:

Additional info on lead acid chemistry battery charging:

Reactions: Yaatri and rickybug

·
Registered
83 cm250c 71 ct70h 72cb350k 76cl360 79atc110 84atc125m 72dt125 74mx360 2000xvs650 75ke125 79kz650
38 Posts
I've got a different chart than you. It has different words for the letters "BS" on a battery. I have several 70's 80's and a 2000 and a 2006. I have AGM batteries in all of them and usually get at least 3 years out of them. Sometimes 4 or 5. I just have no faith in the old slosh and sploosh batteries.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,875 Posts
I'm going on my 3rd year with an old style lead acid Walmart battery. They didn't have the right one, so I bought the battery with the poles reversed & rewired the Rebel to match. I don't recomend this, but it works.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,222 Posts
I've got a different chart than you. It has different words for the letters "BS" on a battery. I have several 70's 80's and a 2000 and a 2006. I have AGM batteries in all of them and usually get at least 3 years out of them. Sometimes 4 or 5. I just have no faith in the old slosh and sploosh batteries.
I got 7 years to the month on YB9L-B Yuasa battery, cheaper Batteries Plus battery lasted 2 1/2 years before failing.. I now have 7 years on second flooded lead acid YB9L-B Yuasa battery, we shall see how much longer it will last..

I have 3 Walmart everstart marine flooded lead acid deep cycle batteries in motor coach that were installed in 2007..
last fall they started failing as I hadn't checked the water level in over a year..

A lot depends on the quality of battery you buy..

21 - 40 of 43 Posts