Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Rebel CMX250X, just had the battery replaced and the carb cleaned, I can push start it. The neutral light is dim but gets brighter when I rev the throttle. So does the high beam light and turn signal light on the dash. If it's called a dash 馃し? Also when I tried running the choke the bike shut off. Thoughts?

Administrator
Make sure the battery is fully charged and the terminals and grounds are clean - can you jump start it with a car battery?

Super Moderator
When starting from a car battery, don't have the car engine running. The car battery has plenty of power to start the bike, and it won't drain the car battery.

Reactions: Markrkolb

Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
most batteries are shipped dry. They have to be filled with acid and charged for 3-6 hours at 2 amps or less..
charging at higher amperage often damages the plates inside..
On the other hand just because a battery is new doesn't mean it's good, take it to parts supplier who can preform a load test.. Had a member last year who took her new battery back, store found none of their replacements on shelf that fit Rebel could pass load test..

Reactions: synnamdammit

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the battery installed at an independent shop. I have a multi meter, I'm going to check the voltage later today if it stops raining. There was no chatter or clicking when I try the starter button. But, after I push start the bike and run it for a few minutes I would shut it off and try the starter button it would get a weak chatter a couple of times then nothing at all.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked the battery with my multi meter, it read at 10.30ish with the bike off, tried to start it and the voltage dropped to 4.50ish. Then turned off the key and it read about 9.50ish. couldn't push start today, it's about 40 degrees F today going to charge up the battery enough to start it, then see where it reads. Fuses were in tact.

Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
Bad battery. That kind of proves it within much else that it could possibly be!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok had a few days before I could get back on this. So I charged the battery for about a half hour. It read at 13.40 so I reinstalled it and the bike started right back up. Ran it for a while, it read at 14.20 while running it with the choke ( it's cold here).
Then when idling without the choke it read at 11.40, I revved and it went back up to 11.80, then it would not turn over the motor when trying to restart. Read at 10:30 then 10:80 when revving. Same thing with the lights getting dim while idling and brighter when revving and same chattering sounds as well when trying the start button. I can still bump start it though.
My charger didn't give me an error light. So is the battery bad, or should I just charge it for longer?

Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
I say you have a bad battery,, But let's look at this logically..
6 amp hour battery would need to be charged at 1 amp for 6 hours or 2 amps for 3 hours..
Charging motorcycle batteries at much more than 2 amps blows pieces of plates off, thus ruining the battery..

Reactions: HalfbreedCharlie

Registered
The Rebel battery is 6Ah (Ampere hours). This means that the battery will take 6 hours at 1A and 12 hours at 500 mA to full charge from zero. If you are charging the battery at higher currents, charging itself have damaged the battery. Charge the battery at low current, say 500 mA (0.5 amp) for 12 hours and then see how the battery behaves. The battery might not have been fully charged in half an hour. You also need to do a load test, as suggested by SK. Do the load test on the fully charged battery. Load test on a depleted battery would not give any useful information except that the battery is depleted.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot one thing, my battery charger displayed that the battery was at full charge. I have one of those duracell 2amp 6v/12v chargers. I don't think it has any settings to charge at mA. The manual didn't have much information.

Administrator
A battery charger cannot tell if a battery is good or bad - it measures voltage - a bad battery can be charged to a seemingly high enough voltage but not be able to store enough amps to be useful.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm, I'm going to try charging it for one hour to see what happens. If it is a dead battery, can anyone recommend a good battery? Also is a lithium ion battery an option for a 2015 Rebel 250?

Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
Unlike the 1st generation Rebel your bike's alternator is designed to output higher voltage required by AGM batteries.. Honda installed Yuasa YTX7L-BS in the 2nd generation as well as 3rd generation CMX300 & CMX500 Rebels.. Yuasa has reputation of lasting years longer than other battery brands..

The YTX7L-BS will come dry needing to be filled with supplied acid, than charged to full capacity..
Quote from Yuasa battery safety page "part numbers for dry batteries end with 鈥-BS鈥 to signify 鈥渂ottle supplied鈥 (i.e. YTX14-BS, YTX20HL-BS etc.)."

Reactions: HalfbreedCharlie

Registered
I forgot one thing, my battery charger displayed that the battery was at full charge. I have one of those duracell 2amp 6v/12v chargers. I don't think it has any settings to charge at mA. The manual didn't have much information.
It's important to remember what 01-7700 and others have said that a battery charger does not tell you the state of charge on the battery, although, it's a good indicator if the battery is good. It's not a measure, it's an indicator. If the battery is bad, all the indicator tells you is that the battery won't accept and hold anymore charge when it indicates 100% charge. Basically, it tells you nothing about how much charge the battery holds.

To rule out a bad battery, you charge it for required amount of time, 3 hours at 2 amps, 6 hours at 1 amp so on and so forth, for a 6Ah battery and then perform a load test. If the battery passes load test with flying colours, but still fails to start the bike more than one or twice, you have/had a massive short somewhere. A massive short draws large current, which itself can damage a battery very quickly. Sometimes, going over a bump can damage a good battery by shorting one of the cells in the battery. That's usually a manufacturing defect when plates of cells in the battery are not anchored properly.

Capacity of a battery, as designed, is denoted by ampere hours, which is essentially the total charge imparted to and stored by the battery and made available by the battery when it's used. It takes work/energy to store the charge in the battery. A bad battery cannot store as much charge as a good battery can. A bad battery when charged may indicate fully charged battery voltage, but it doesn't have much charge stored in it. As soon as you start using a battery, that you think is fully charged, as indicated by the voltage at full charge, all its charge is drained in a short amount of time.

As a simple analogy, think of 100 gallon bucket of water at a height of 100 meters, and 1 gallon bottle of water at the same height. If you connect tube, the two down to the ground with a tap at the bottom and measure the pressure, pf water just before the tap (with the tap closed) you will measure the same pressure. The cup will drain in a very short time and the bucket might take hours, depending on the rate of "discharge" of water. Similarly, it would take you much shorter time to fill the cup than it would to fill the 100 gallon bucket. Now imagine, you are filling the hundred gallon bucket with water from a silted pond. Every time you fill a bucket, whether 100 gallon or the 1 gallon bucket, a little bit of sand is carried with the water and settles at the bottom of the bucket. After sometime, the level of sand might be very near the top pf the bucket. Consequently, even a 100 gallon bucket will not be able to store 100 gallons of water. If you have a float in the bucket to indicate when it's full, you will think it's full when the float closes the water inlet as thw water level rises to the 100 gallon mark. But it does not hold 100 gallons at that point. Degradation of a battery is analogous to the bucket getting silted. This is not what happens in a battery, but it's a good analogy.

Reactions: 01-7700

Administrator
that's a great analogy - but civilians may not comprehend the part about 1 gallon and 100 gallons at the same height having the same pressure at ground

1 - 20 of 43 Posts