Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 honda rebel 250. At a stand still, I can't get it to shift into neutral from first while it's running. It has no issues going into neutral while it hasn't been started and I just have battery power on. How so I fix this issue. (VERY mechanically inclined)

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Its usually a technique issue.. You have to move the bike forward or backward ever so slightly while pressing the shift lever toward neutral. If your clutch is adjusted right (not dragging) it should slip right in.
the design of motorcycle transmissions is such that the gears don't disengage well at a total standstill. Even slight movement makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Couple of things come to mind, clutch plates are warped, clutch cable is adjusted too tight. I will say my '09 is the same way, I have learned to shift into neutral while still moving, or when the engine is shut off. Seems quite a few Rebels owners have this exact problem, nature of the beast for some. I've just learned to live with it.

My VLX is the exact opposite, it snicks into neutral very easily moving or not, engine running or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I'll have to remember that the next time I ride. Also, what is the easiest way to increase the mph on a bike like that?

·
Super Moderator
29,308 Posts
If you want to increase top speed, get a bigger bike or always ride downhill.

Reactions: DesertRebel

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'll have to remember that the next time I ride. Also, what is the easiest way to increase the mph on a bike like that?
On a Rebel, not much. It is only 234 cc's think it has maybe 12 HP at the rear wheel, between the weight of the bike, wind resistance, and the riders weight, all things considered I think a Rebel does pretty darn good as is.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Thanks fo
r the input. I'll have to remember that the next time I ride. Also, what is the easiest way to increase the mph on a bike like that?
Load it on a fast truck.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Couple of things come to mind, clutch plates are warped, clutch cable is adjusted too tight. .
Clutch cable too tight would cause slipping clutch.. It's too much slack in the cable that can cause a dragging clutch which will result in hard shifts and difficulty with neutral.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts