Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided not to go LED & picked up a brake light/license plate mount & new turn signals all of which are incandescent.

The brake light has 3 wires (brake light, license plate light & ground) & each turn signal have 2 wires for a total of 7 in the rear. Under my seat, there are 5 wires. I'm assuming 2 are spliced. If this assumption is correct, which need to be spliced? If not, what do I need to do to make them function?

1986 Rebel 250

Thank you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found the post below that helped me get the brake light working & explained that there is a common ground which explains what wires need to be spliced (I assume the grounds are all spliced together, please advise if incorrect). My turn signals are staying solid/constant on though, no blinker function. I have tried every combination. Well, all but the correct one.

If someone could fill in the blanks, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f80/brake-light-wiring-73426.html

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
The turn signals on the Reb don't go to ground directly. They go to ground through the opposite turn signal bulb before going to ground. Thus only 5 wires. Can't find the wiring diagram that used to be on the forum, so here you go. Download this if you plan on modding the wiring. Turn signals were the same for all the Rebs, but there were some changes on other things over the years.

Sorry but the diagram didn't upload...what a **** forum...not like the old days!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I gave it a try & having the same result. Signals constant on.

On the diagram, there are 2 brown wires, one going to the license plate light & one to the brake. Mine is one unit with a dual filament bulb. Just needs the one brown wire then correct? Thank you.

EDIT:

I'm currently waiting for the second matching set of signals. I have been running the new (incandescent) lights in the rear & using the stock blinkers up front until the new ones arrive.

I disconnected one of the factory fronts & threw it on the rear so both right signals were stock & it worked fine. So it's either that there is an issue with these new lights or that front & rear need to both be the same type of light. Hoping having aftermarket front & rear will make this work.

Might that be the case or are these aftermarket lights not going to work at all? I will get pictures posted of the new lights & their bulbs.

Just hooked aftermarket front & rear on left side. Constant on.

Thank you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
It sounds to me like the lights and the wiring are okay, when I got my bike, the signals wouldn't flash until I got a flasher relay, they wear out all the time. If you have a Napa or Benson's Autoparts near you they should have them, just ask for a 12V 2 pin flasher. If not the drag specialties number is DS-325456, just go to the parts unlimited website and find a dealer near you. Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello! Looks like a cool project. I am currently on the same step as my rebel rebuild. The last step in fact! For now...

Anyway I think the constant signal light means that your relay might need replacing. From a few videos and reading the service manual if you did a wrong ground hookup in the process of connecting everything back up you can blow a fuse. You can check by removing the relay and continue the circuit with a piece of wire. If you turn on the blinker and it's solid it means the relay needs to be replaced.

But I too need help with this!! I have very similar if not the same new rear blinkers.
I also have a similar looking tail/brake light combo with a license plate mount.
So the brake light has 3 wires; yellow/green, black and red. The blinkers have 3 a piece; black,brown, and red.

The cluster from the old setup has 4 green, 2 brown, 1 light blue, 1 orange, and 1 yellow/green.

So far I can get the rear brake light to light up as just rear light but it wont go bright when i apply the brake.

I have gotten the rear blinkers to light up in trying to connect them correctly in the beginning of the process. But there is a problem with that as well. I have taken it out for a quick ride around the block when i had gotten it all back together in the rebuild and did have rear lights and I would use the turn signal out of habit and the front blinkers worked for a while but then stopped working and now I can't get the blinkers to light up. Before i do any more potential damage i'm gonna check all the fuses and replace any blown ones. I would love any advice about how to differentiate wiring coloring schemes with aftermarket lights.

Thanks!

JP

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
Regarding the brake light, are you using a standard two filament incandescent 1157 bulb? When the brake filament breaks and the running light filament doesn't, it will mimic exactly what you describe.

Be safe, Coonie, and avoid crowds. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, that is correct. I ordered 2 new sets of signals with proper 2 filament bulbs. Hopefully it'll get my issue resolved. I will advise either way. Thank you.

Regarding the brake light, are you using a standard two filament incandescent 1157 bulb? When the brake filament breaks and the running light filament doesn't, it will mimic exactly what you describe.

Be safe, Coonie, and avoid crowds. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts