Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Premium Member
1987 rebel 2004 sportster
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another fun project for the winter. My first red one! I am getting better at finding the codes for the missing keys. Stock handlebars ordered馃榾 the PO cut all the wires for the mini apes鈥ortunately he saved the fenders, blinkers and a few of the bolts. I am thinking of keeping the stock tank and fenders as is- they are a little sun faded but not bad鈥ots of sanding, buffing and steel wooling in my future :)

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like you've decided on the enjoyable (and sometimes frustrating), "hobby" of bringing many of these classics back from the Bobbed attempts.
I wish that I had the time & ability that you seem to have. 馃榿
Well beyond my abilities, but I'm sure you will get it rideable in due time.
Thank you FC and Emil for the positive support! I am light in ability- but I have lots of free time. One of the few perks of being old:) honestly i have made a few bucks fixing up rebels, but it鈥檚 a labor of love. the purple 86 started with a jump and fresh gas. I cleaned the carb and it is running well now. It is going back to its original blue color. The PO just sprayed everything purple, no masking or disassembly:( the red 85 i have done nothing but clean and scrub. The chrome is not bad but heavy oxidation on the aluminum. I am waiting for a key from eBay to start the red 85. Pictures to follow. I hope to save many more rebels from the scrap yard. These beautiful, wonderful bikes deserve a better fate!!!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on the red 85- i got the key from eBay, it worked on everything but the ignition. I used it to get the gas cap off. I replaced the ignition switch and hit the starter button to see if it would at least turn over. It fired and ran! It idled until the gas ran out. I had taken the tank off. Easiest first start ever 馃憤I still pulled the carb off and cleaned it. Story of my life-better lucky than good 馃槑

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
eBay-$50 plus$12 shipping.worth every penny to me, i love the stock bars!! The formerly purple 86 is done.my friends at Napa tried to match the glint wave blue stock color- it came out much darker but still pretty. I put too much nose up on the honda stickers鈥therwise all good:)

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Red 85 is done- just waiting for tank stickers and rear fender reflectors. My pals at Napa did a great job of mixing up a spray can for me. I took it out for a quick ride today to run through the gears and warm up the oil. Very cold but fun! I now have the red 85. Blue 86 and black 87鈥.i am in violation of my wife鈥檚 鈥渙ne in, one out鈥 rule鈥.but a wise man once told me to do what I want and take the heat :)

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts