Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some winter work on my bike this past weekend and noticed the front wheel weights fell off. ( Backstory - i had new tires put on the bike in the fall by the dealer. ) I tried to stick them back on but they did not stay.. How worried should I be when its time to start riding again? Is this something I could go back in the shop and tell them to put back on?

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
If there were weights on there, the wheel was out of balance, and can be expected to vibrate when operated without them. it's unusual for them to fall off. they must not have been very well attached.

·
Super Moderator
30,605 Posts
Or add Ride-On tire sealant, which balances the tires and protects against flats as well.

Reactions: rebel rider 88

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks for the advice yall. I think i'll swing by there when im getting my inspection in the spring (bikes off the road until then) and ask them to rebalance. I still have my reciept.

·
Super Moderator
30,605 Posts
Either one should work. That Amazon link to the ATV stuff is no longer available. two 8 oz, bottles will do a Rebel. ride on tire sealant | eBay

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,107 Posts
tire sealants are typically for tubeless tires.. I do see some products that claim useful in tubes..
Having worked in tire shops made my mind up to never use a sealant..

real pain to clean up from inside of rim when changing tires

Reactions: MaconMan77

·
Registered
119 Posts
tire sealants are typically for tubeless tires.. I do see some products that claim useful in tubes..
Having worked in tire shops made my mind up to never use a sealant..

real pain to clean up from inside of rim when changing tires
Does the sealant do anything to balance the wheels, as claimed?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,107 Posts
never had much experience with self balancing beads/fluids, some swear by the stuff.

I swear by computer spin balancing cuz that's what i'm experienced on, bubble balance as well

I've been able to obtain a good balance with simple wheel balance stand I bought at yard sale..
have a lifetime supply of weights left, could supply half of the town..
bought smallest box to be found too.

I've got to replace patch kit I keep around.. glue is all dried up.
Thanks for bringing up the subject.

·
Super Moderator
30,605 Posts
I've used Ride On for many years. Great stuff. It's not like Slime or similar sealants in that once it's installed, it doesn't move, and isn't messy when changing tires. It will seal holes up to 1/4" in a tubeless tire, and smaller holes in tubes. It won't work in a tube if there is a tear rather than a hole. It is only applied to the center section of the tire/tube, so a puncture from the sidewall won't seal because there is no sealant there. Tire Sealant - Ride-On Tire Protection System (TPS) - YouTube Ride-On Tire Sealant = Indestructible Tires! (almost...) - YouTube

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am still wondering about the difference between the two types of Ride-on tyre sealant. The 7132 specially designed for ATV and UTV and 41208 for motorcycles. Are dosage recommendations the same for the two? The Ride-on site does give separate dosage charts for for 41208 (speicfying motorcycle tyre szes) and 7132 (for ATV, specifying ATV tyre sizes). I couldn't find correspondence between the sizes. Some people have mentioned in reviews for 7132 that they have used it for motorcycles without addressing the dosage or tyre correspondence issues

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, I went through Ride-on site. It also gives a formula to calculate dosage for a tyre based on its dimensions. Height x width x .09 for size specified in inches and and height x width x 0.014 ( size specified in cm). Height is the overall height of the tire when mounted. Dose for the rear tyre (130/90-15) works out to 11 oz if you use 7132 (ride-on for ATV). The recomennded dose for 41208 (Ride-on for motorcycles) is 8 oz for the rear tyre. The site recommends using 25% more for severe use. So, I suspect they are the same. If they charged the same per ounce price for 7132 version, a dose for an ATV tyre would cost more than what the market could bear as ATV tyres are bigger in volume.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts