Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Rebel 250
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with my project with changing the rear rim to something not 15 inch, finding a 17 inch (where i know the load rating) is proving to be difficult. and if im going to be changing it to something that doesnt have the same OD of a 130/90-15 i want to know if that would cause odometer issues or not

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,674 Posts
Suppose it would be the same wheel speedometer is connected to don't you think?
Typically mechanical speedometers use internal gearing to rotate odometer numbers..

• Haha
Reactions: Yaatri

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,618 Posts
is this confirmed?
I've never had a motorcycle with the odometer fed from anything other than the front wheel hub, IIRC. And I've had a few. These are no exception.
If, as SoakedKarma said, you trace the speedometer/odometer cable, you'll see for yourself that this is true.

·
Registered
1986 Honda CMX 450 Rebel
101 Posts
Reactions: Kreuzi

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,674 Posts
Even on the 1931 Henderson Four following the speedometer cable ends at driven wheel in a Rube Goldberg collection of gearing and adjustable cable support arm..
Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Tread

interesting setup nonetheless

·
Registered
1986 Honda CMX 450 Rebel
101 Posts
Exactly ! But still driven by the rear hub & therefore the rear weel.

There are several examples of this setup, especially with pre war bikes. However my remark should be taken with a grain of salt and be seen in with a sense of (sometimes black )... humor.

(Is this affirmative ?....yes :) ).

Reactions: SoakedKarma

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,618 Posts
As much as I love watching Rube Goldberg devices doing their job....
How much I prefer the Honda way of doing things. Very simple, very easy to work on, very easy to fix if something goes wrong.
That being said, because it's so simple, hardly anything ever breaks! 👍 :love:

Reactions: Markrkolb
1 - 11 of 11 Posts