Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
87 CMX250
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I turn on the gas there's a constant flow from the bottom nipple and even surrounding area. I did have a leak from the accelerator pump and just fixed it. Now instead of leaking from the acel pump it's leaking from this side. I just did a carb rebuild and replaced the seals, float, and jets.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Auto part

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,502 Posts
tap on the side of float bowl with screwdriver handle.. rap moderately your not trying to break the aluminum, rather trying to jar the float and float bowl needle to close off fuel flow as the needle is stuck open..
piece of grit/rust or rubber hose can also jam float needle open and why we recommend installing an inline fuel filter..

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,502 Posts
Am I seeing things or is there a drip forming off bowl screw (red)?
is the side of float bowl wet? I see drip below bowl drain screw (yellow)
expected to see leak out overflow nipple thus my first comment..

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Bumper

Reactions: 01-7700

·
87 CMX250
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tap on the side of float bowl with screwdriver handle.. rap moderately your not trying to break the aluminum, rather trying to jar the float and float bowl needle to close off fuel flow as the needle is stuck open..
piece of grit/rust or rubber hose can also jam float needle open and why we recommend installing an inline fuel filter..
I'll try that first thing tomorrow. What is an inline fuel filter?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,502 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,969 Posts
Looks like the bowl gasket, and possibly the air/fuel screw O-ring are leaking.

·
87 CMX250
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried tapping it...didn't seem to do much. Could it be because it's not quite level? I think I may have put the right side air filter hose upside down on accident which is causing the carb to dip slightly to the left. Would that cause a leak though?

·
Super Moderator
4,257 Posts
tapping won't fix a bowl gasket leak - neither will leveling

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,502 Posts
failure to clean out bowl gasket groove completely, pinched bowl gasket, damaged gasket any number of things.. I'd think the float valve is being held open by contamination or float itself is stuck..
At this point you are going to need to take carb off, inspect neoprene/rubber float valve tip for scratches or embedded grit.. Polish float valve brass seat with Q-tip

BTW seat doesn't come out as the one in video does, you will have to do this while seat stays in carb body.
check there aren't nicks in bowl gasket. or install new bowl gasket
You will be an expert when you get it working correctly..

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't think needle & seat, float, tapping or filter are the issues here, if the carb was over fueling it would be coming out the overflow tube, it appears to be a leaking "O" ring. It is important that the "O" ring is alcohol resistant or the alcohol will turn it into mush. The leak around the gasket is not a gasket issue, normally the gasket does not seal anything as the fuel is usually well below it. The fuel is weeping out because the float is too high. You said you did a carb job and most likely the float was removed and possibly the tab got bent allowing too much fuel to enter. In conclusion adjust the float to allow less fuel in the bowel, but not too much and replace the "O" ring with an alcohol resistant "O" ring. If the gasket is leaking, is only because there is too much fuel and if the needle was leaking it would be coming out the overflow. Some times this is referred to as chasing ones shadow.

·
87 CMX250
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Popular inline filter

Mine

View attachment 111523
What does that do?

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
1,026 Posts
What does that do?
It filters the gasoline coming from the tank so that small particulates do not enter & clog the carb.

·
Registered
291 Posts
When I turn on the gas there's a constant flow from the bottom nipple and even surrounding area. I did have a leak from the accelerator pump and just fixed it. Now instead of leaking from the acel pump it's leaking from this side. I just did a carb rebuild and replaced the seals, float, and jets.
View attachment 111519
Looks like you might have to renew the fuel line. As far I can see, the right-hand side, directly at the fuel line connection is wet as well.

·
87 CMX250
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think needle & seat, float, tapping or filter are the issues here, if the carb was over fueling it would be coming out the overflow tube, it appears to be a leaking "O" ring. It is important that the "O" ring is alcohol resistant or the alcohol will turn it into mush. The leak around the gasket is not a gasket issue, normally the gasket does not seal anything as the fuel is usually well below it. The fuel is weeping out because the float is too high. You said you did a carb job and most likely the float was removed and possibly the tab got bent allowing too much fuel to enter. In conclusion adjust the float to allow less fuel in the bowel, but not too much and replace the "O" ring with an alcohol resistant "O" ring. If the gasket is leaking, is only because there is too much fuel and if the needle was leaking it would be coming out the overflow. Some times this is referred to as chasing ones shadow.
I just replaced all O rings and seals. Is it possible one of them is not sitting right?

·
Super Moderator
30,969 Posts
Yes, it's possible. I'm not saying this is your specific problem, but if the O-ring (1) in assembly 5 isn't inserted in the proper order (O-ring, washer, spring), it will leak. If the old O-ring isn't removed before the new one is installed, that will also cause it to leak. 2009 Honda CMX250C A CARBURETOR | Cheap Cycle Parts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts