Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Mint actually refers to coins.
That's the origin of the term, however it's not the solitary or exclusive use for it. As I mentioned upthread it's applicable to comic books, and the term has been used across the board for most collectible items.

Reactions: Yaatri

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I am interested in that bike. I offered $500 for the 2012 Rebel that I bought during the summer. It started and ran, though only with "choke". It needed some love. But the one that's the subject of this thread doesn't even start.
It could be just a clogged carburetor, clogged petcock, ignition coil(s), the CDI, igniter, air/vacuum leak, a stuck valve, valve or ignition timing, engine cut off switch to off, ignition circuit grounded, kickstand switch Any other possibility?
It would be a good learning experience.

Someone valued a bike that doesn't start at about a dollar per c.c. That gives a range of $250 to $500. Of course, $250 is better They will probably laugh at an offer of even $500. Once I have looked the bike, I will decide.

Does anyone vote for $250 offer?

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 rebel 2004 sportster
354 Posts
I like buying non-running bikes. They are cheap and i like the challenge. The problem with that bike in my mind is that there is no way to reasonably fix it if it is really broken. You can’t get a replacement engine with the low miles of that bike. I would not want to take on a major engine/trans rebuild, and paying a mechanic could cost more than the value of the bike. Any time i buy a non-runner i am willing to roll the dice on getting it to run. That is easier with a $300/$400 investment. There are 2 rebels in Maine that i am considering- both on facebook marketplace. One is $300- but it’s in Perry about 5 hours away…the other one is close but the owner wants $600 firm. That is too much for a crap shoot…. I think the rebel is a great bike-fun. Good looking, reliable, easy to work on- but part of what I like about them is that they are easily replaceable. You can get a really nice bike for a couple thousand. I can’t justify treating that bike like a museum piece just because of the mileage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You are correct.

With due apologies, do you think "mint" is such a rare word that people on this forum have to be told the origin of the term?

A mint condition coin cost more than the face value of circulated coins, sometimes multiple times the face value

We all know that a motorcycle is not minted. Sense of mint is modified to apply to products other than coins. That's how languages evolve.

If we were talking of computers, would it make sense to respond with, "compute actually means to calculate?"
I do believe that the term mint is very misunderstood when it comes to vehicle condition. Words should mean something. I felt understanding of the "origin" of the term would help in understanding that the term is wildly misused in reference to a vehicle as we all know and that is the rare part of it apparently. Seems quite a few understand it to be more related to a peppermint (lol). Either way, it should be used sparingly to museum quality pieces, imho.

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,702 Posts
Kind of like most people use the word peruse incorrectly. Peruse means doing a thorough study, but most use it as though it means to look briefly.
Mint & many other words perceived meanings are entirely erroneous. That's the importance of keeping things simple.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
I do believe that the term mint is very misunderstood when it comes to vehicle condition. Words should mean something.
This occurs in all facets of life. Sticking to the subject at hand, another highly misused word associated with motorcycles is "bobber".

Another fun fact --- "mint" is now a slang term to describe something that someone finds to be "cool". In addition to altered meanings, in this context it is also (mis)pronounced as "mUHnt".

Putting two and two together, it's not uncommon to find social media posts of a dismantled/sawzalled/rattle-canned heap followed by a comment that it is mint. ;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
As Shadow Shack stated, words and phrases are misused in all walks of life. Some of it is due to not knowing proper meaning or usage and some is just plane exaggeration. Straight A student is one that comes to mind. Some people use it to describe a good student, who usually gets Bs or As, or to describe someone who never gets a C.

Scholarship for beauty pageant winners. Scholarship, by definition, is based on scholastic achievement, not on parading in bathing suits and evening gowns. A beauty queen wins a prize, not a scholarship.

My kid is a genius.

Reactions: Markrkolb

·
Premium Member
85,86,87 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,702 Posts
Insanity and his inherited as well,.... You get it from your children.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
As Shadow Shack stated, words and phrases are misused in all walks of life. Some of it is due to not knowing proper meaning or usage and some is just plane exaggeration.
When it comes to selling things, nearly everyone will claim it is in better condition than it really is.

Especially those aforementioned dismantle/sawzall/rattle-can bikes...those owners have created an artificial market where half a bike is "worth" twice what it was back when it was new.

So it "stands to reason" that if half of a $3K bike is worth $5-6K, then a showroom condition bike with a seized engine (or whatever the case may be where it won't start and run) must be worth more than new-MSRP too. :devilish:

Reactions: Yaatri

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Nice 450!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Another gem of an ad:
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan with 323 original miles. This bike was bought as a learner bike and laid down. Got it from an insurance auction. Some repairs to the bike were made. Rode the bike a bit but never tag it or put it on the road. Then the bike sat again. The bike needs A good once over again and definitely needs new carburetors and a battery. Other than that it should be pretty good to go. I have a new battery that can go with it. And all of the parts. This bike was stored indoors up until about this past summer. This is practically a brand new bike with some work.

No idea how long the bike sat, what the damage was, what repairs were made and when, there is rust on the rear wheel that I can see in the pictures (only the rear half of the rear wheel is visible), it needs battery and new carbs but it is "practically a new bike"

Make of the bike isn't really relevant. I would offer no more than $200 for any bike with this description.

·
Premium Member
1986 rebel 2004 sportster
354 Posts
I totally agree. Whenever you buy a non-running bike you are Taking a big chance. I would personally prefer a “no damage history” bike with 10k vs that bike…the super low miles might be relevant for a 62 corvette but not for a mass-produced bike like that. Just my opinion….

·
Super Moderator
31,738 Posts
Another gem of an ad:
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan with 323 original miles. This bike was bought as a learner bike and laid down. Got it from an insurance auction. Some repairs to the bike were made. Rode the bike a bit but never tag it or put it on the road. Then the bike sat again. The bike needs A good once over again and definitely needs new carburetors and a battery. Other than that it should be pretty good to go. I have a new battery that can go with it. And all of the parts. This bike was stored indoors up until about this past summer. This is practically a brand new bike with some work.
Kawasaki makes a lot of different size cruisers under their Vulcan brand; this doesn't give a clue as to which one it is. Brings back memories: Craigslist SNAFU | Honda Rebel Forum

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Kawasaki makes a lot of different size cruisers under their Vulcan brand; this doesn't give a clue as to which one it is. Brings back memories: Craigslist SNAFU | Honda Rebel Forum
Mods can merge the two threads if they think it's appropriate to do so. The seller did not specify which Vulcan it was but from the pictures, it looks like a Vulcan 500.

·
Administrator
4,920 Posts
Mods can merge the two threads if they think it's appropriate to do so. The seller did not specify which Vulcan it was but from the pictures, it looks like a Vulcan 500.
no, sorry to hijack

that snafu thread is a good one to revive

i moved my post over there

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
no, sorry to hijack

that snafu thread is a good one to revive
No, please don't apologise. The two threads are similar. Your post belongs here as much as it does in the other thread. Mods can merge the two if they want. I am ok either way.
i moved my post over there
alas the perks of being an administrator. Proletariat have to be content with.....
Just kidding. :LOL:

Maybe mint means that someone filled the crank case with mint jelly, and/or the gas tank with mint-cilantro chutney.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts