Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the bike doesn't start, it's not mint condition to me. Mint condition means the bikes should function as well as brand new bike would.

I saw an ad for a 2012 Honda Rebel with 300 miles. Here is the ad.
  1. Mint condition, garage kept, never dropped, and only 300 miles with a new battery. Hardly ever used. Purchased new battery, cleaned spark plugs, and took out old gas and put in new but cannot get it to start. Needs updated inspection.
  2. Do not try to talk me down on price. If you want it I am asking full price. Motorcycle has barely been used.
of course one would have to asses what else might be wrong. Even if it just needs carb cleaning, it's not "mint" in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,113 Posts
Mint means different things to different people.
Also mint could mean the shape of the body, frame etc.
But, like you, mint to me means contest winning, everything works as is would straight from the dealership if you'd bought it new.
That being said.... 300 miles! Never dropped or damaged in any way. Real close!

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,737 Posts
what price are they asking?
might be the only chance where I can use laughing horse gif

Attachments

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So we are in agreement that "mint" should not be used to describe the condition of a motorcycle or any vehicle that has sat for a few years and cannot be started even with a new battery.

Words have a meaning. When looking at a coin, mint condition may apply just to appearance but when the item is valued in terms of factors other than looks, all functions should be taken into account when describing it. The fact that it has barely been used is not very significant.
Their asking price is just over $3400.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought my 1980 CM200T from a dealer with zero miles (New Old Stock) in 1984 for $798. I think MSRP was $1298 or $1398. Since Rebel is a popular bike, $2500 or thereabouts would be a reasonable price. No more than $3000 in any case.

Reactions: rickybug

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,737 Posts
Well, if you buy any used electronics off Swappa even fair condition items have to be fully functional..
That price is $800 less than dealer new price 10 years ago.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Mint means to me new in appearance and function.. If the bike quit on first owner in just a couple of hundred miles, why would it not also quit for you?

Reactions: Yaatri

·
Premium Member
11,918 Posts
What is mint condition? This 1985 model that was listed in 2005. You'll never find anything more mint than that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,918 Posts
As for "my" definition...I go by comic book collecting ---. Mint is perfect and untouched/unused. Starting the bike gets soot inside the exhaust, dropping it to "Near Mint".

As far as vehicle collectors go, "mint" is anything resembling showroom condition.

Regardless of which one is invoked, there is no such thing as "Mint, but..." A tear in the seat is not mint. A scratch in the paint is not mint. A vehicle that won't start is even further from mint than either of those minor flaws. Hence the aforementioned $3400+ pile that won't start...KBB lists a 2012 model at around $2500 so that seller needs to put the crack pipe down and sober up if he really wants to sell it.

Reactions: Yaatri and Emil

·
Premium Member
11,918 Posts
I hope they left it in the wrapper. :p
The box/exterior was included in the auction. Bidding topped $4300 but didn't meet the reserve, I never saw if it was relisted. The seller was a former Honda dealer owner that hung on to it. My guess is he carted it to a motorcycle auction and got what he wanted.

Reactions: Yaatri

·
Administrator
4,750 Posts
Well he doubled his money in 30 years - not the best investment but I hope it went to a collector.

·
Premium Member
11,918 Posts
Well he doubled his money in 30 years - not the best investment but I hope it went to a collector.
He did better than that. The bike carried a $1500 MSRP in 85 and as a dealer he paid wholesale, easily less than a grand. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the bike doesn't start, it's not mint condition to me. Mint condition means the bikes should function as well as brand new bike would.

I saw an ad for a 2012 Honda Rebel with 300 miles. Here is the ad.
  1. Mint condition, garage kept, never dropped, and only 300 miles with a new battery. Hardly ever used. Purchased new battery, cleaned spark plugs, and took out old gas and put in new but cannot get it to start. Needs updated inspection.
  2. Do not try to talk me down on price. If you want it I am asking full price. Motorcycle has barely been used.
of course one would have to asses what else might be wrong. Even if it just needs carb cleaning, it's not "mint" in my opinion.
Mint actually refers to coins. A coin is only MINT once, as it was freshly minted (stamped/created). They can be kept as such very carefully (like don't even touch it), but any "use" of any kind will make it NOT mint any longer.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Mint actually refers to coins. A coin is only MINT once, as it was freshly minted (stamped/created). They can be kept as such very carefully (like don't even touch it), but any "use" of any kind will make it NOT mint any longer.
You are correct.

With due apologies, do you think "mint" is such a rare word that people on this forum have to be told the origin of the term?

A mint condition coin cost more than the face value of circulated coins, sometimes multiple times the face value

We all know that a motorcycle is not minted. Sense of mint is modified to apply to products other than coins. That's how languages evolve.

If we were talking of computers, would it make sense to respond with, "compute actually means to calculate?"

Reactions: Lunarnighthawk

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
he has lowered the price to $2580 exactly what KBB shows as the typical listing price. I doubt Miss Kelly knows the bike doesn't start.

Reactions: Lunarnighthawk

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think even a high mileage bike that has been cared for, starts right up and runs well, might be more useful, at least immediately, than a super low mileage bike that won't start even with a new battery.

Reactions: Markrkolb
1 - 20 of 39 Posts