Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned in a previous post.... I'm having to replace a valve and piston on a Rebel 250 with only 300 miles on it. I Received the new piston as well as new rings for both pistons. Everything going back together smoothly until I attempt to slide pistons into the jugs. I have pushed, squeezed, wiggled, angled, cussed, fussed, jumped up & down, etc... trying to insert the pistons. Alas I ended bending rings on both pistons. I have installed rings & pistons on many, many jet-ski and boat engines and NEVER ran across anything so stubborn as this beast. That said.... What am I missing here??? Is the 250 motor so different from the traditional small engine that it requires some sort of special hocus-pocus. Does anyone know of a you tube (or other) video out there showing the appropriate procedure for this particular engine??

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
Did you use a ring compressor? Many auto parts stores lend them out for free. If the rings were bent trying to insert the piston, they need to be replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you use a ring compressor? Many auto parts stores lend them out for free. If the rings were bent trying to insert the piston, they need to be replaced.

New rings on the way. I have a couple of different type of ring compressors yet neither allow for enough clearance with the pistons connected to push rods to accommodate the job.

View attachment 110589

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,985 Posts

Just a thought..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts