Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought some new tires online and took the wheels into my local dealer to have them mounted and balanced.
After re-installing the tires, I'm getting an intense vibration in the handle bars at any speed both while riding and in the brake lever when braking.
Is this a balancing issue, a warped rotor issue, or did I mess something up during the install?

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
My guess would be a balancing issue. There is a white or yellow dot on the tire. Was it installed so the dot is near the valve stem? If not, the tire installer clearly didn't know what they were doing.

Are there any weights on the rim or spokes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not see any dots on the tire, is that something that comes on the tire or is placed by on by the dealer?
There are weights on the tire, there is some residue next to them potentially from them falling off?

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
The dot is placed on the tire by the manufacturer, and is typically about 3/8" in diameter. There's only one dot, so both sides of the tire need to be checked. It'd possible that the dealer removed the dot, but both my tires still have the dot visible after several thousand miles on them.

It does look like there may be some weights missing from that rim, which would explain the vibration. I'd take it back to the dealer and have them check it. Weights shouldn't come off for the life of the tire, and certainly not in the short period from the time they were installed until you discovered the vibration. There shouldn't be any charge if the weights came off.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,084 Posts
rotate wheel checking for out of round tire or improperly seated bead..
At the same time check that the rim is running true..
I agree with flitecontrol, take the bike back to tire installer immediately..

·
Registered
247 Posts
If the wheel was statically balanced, those weights should, ideally, be on both sides of the wheel too, as there's no way to balance it left/right.
However if it was balanced on a computerized system, the placement could be correct.
Definitely take it back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts