Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 250 and it seems to vibrate alot even when just idling in neutral. The view in the mirrors are blurred because of the vibration. Is this normal?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes but to be vibrating so much that the view in the mirrors is blurred just sitting and idling in neutral without revving the engine. I thought there may be something wrong...

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of vertical twin engines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let off the brakes at a stop. I think when youre off the brake the bike can let some of the vibrations be absorbed. It helps for me on my scooter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 2 machines - a 2002 CMX250 and a 1982 CM250C and neither of them vibrate or run rough. I wonder if both of your cylinders are firing normally.....

·
Registered
462 Posts
My 250 Rebel vibrates like crazy! If it weren't for foam grip covers AND gel palmed gloves I really would not be able to ride the thing. Upper back injury makes my left arm go numb and I actually cannot use the turn signals. But, the stock mirrors are very sturdy and do not blur, but cheap aftermarket ones would really blur.

Funny thing, my Vulcan 500 didn't seem to have any vibration in the handlebars until I installed some lightweight Emgo mirrors. They blur really bad and now I can feel a little bit a vibration in the handlebars.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Welllllll . let's face it, all Rebels vibrate a fair bit.. they have to because of their basic design. if that's what at you're used to, it may not be that bothersome. Try riding something with a 4 cylinder rubber mounted engine and then get back on the Rebel and see if your opinion has changed.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Vibrate .... buzz... there's a difference?

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Amplitude I suppose.:D I'll go your route, ride a big thumper and get back on a Rebel. It'll change your opinion of vibration vs buzz...:thumb:
Naaaa Length of frequency not Amplitude.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Amplitude I suppose.:D I'll go your route, ride a big thumper and get back on a Rebel. It'll change your opinion of vibration vs buzz...:thumb:
I have ridden big singles, opposed twins, V twins, triples, inline fours, and I have ridden the Rebel. My opinion is unlikely to change much if I ride a couple more examples of any of them. Some bikes vibrate a lot more than
others..and at lower and higher frequencies. It's still vibration whether you call it shaking or buzzing, and the unvarnished truth of the matter is that the Rebel does it quite a bit. The vibration is a big reason why the Rebel is more tiring to ride hour after hour on a long trip than is a smoother machine.
You can minimize the issue by staying out of the resonant speed range of 55-60 or so... either faster or slower is better.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use the vibrations and rattles to tell me what gear I'm in. Something around the headlight hits a nice resonance frequency at 35MPH in 4th gear and 45MPH in 5th gear. When I feel my motor jumping around by my feet, I'm at redline.

When my hands are off the bars at a stop, my mirrors are useless because they shake so bad. As soon as I put my hand on, they go smooth.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts