Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm ready to do my 4000 mile valve adjustment (I did the 600 mile one). I saw somewhere on the forum that someone described doing the job without removing the rear seat ... front seat ... gas tank etc. (in my case also removing the rear storage rack), but instead removing only the front support of the gas tank and propping it up to get enough clearance for removing the valve cover.

Unfortunately I can't find that post. Can someone indicate how to do this procedure?

I want to do this procedure not because I'm lazy (guilty) but because I'm pretty sure I kind of stripped a thread on one connection at the 600 point, so want to leave well enough alone!

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
You just have to remove the 2 front mounting bolts on the tank and put something between the top of the frame and the tank tunnel to prop it up. I used a roll of duct tape.

·
Registered
54 Posts
great advice i'm doing mine tomorrow, thanks!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You just have to remove the 2 front mounting bolts on the tank and put something between the top of the frame and the tank tunnel to prop it up. I used a roll of duct tape.
mojorisn, may I borrow your duct tape?

... I wonder why this isn't the recommended method, as it seems so much easier ...

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
mojorisn, may I borrow your duct tape?

... I wonder why this isn't the recommended method, as it seems so much easier ...
Sure you can, just drop by anytime and I'll have it waiting for you.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Isn't the rear flange on the tank bolted on tight?
Wouldn't you have to bend that a bit by raising the tank?
Couldn't that cause damage to the tank?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Isn't the rear flange on the tank bolted on tight?
Wouldn't you have to bend that a bit by raising the tank?
Couldn't that cause damage to the tank?
I know this is an old thread, but has this point been brought up anywhere? Couldn't find any info on the forum on whether or not the tank can be damaged by the rear flange bending..

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,084 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but has this point been brought up anywhere? Couldn't find any info on the forum on whether or not the tank can be damaged by the rear flange bending..
had to seal aftermarket tank several years after install due to spot weld of rear mount seeping..
seeped ever so slightly, just enough to keep mount damp yet not drip as gas evaporated..
wasn't due to bending mount for valve adjustment, I attributed it to crappy spot welding and vibration..
The possibility for damage exists imo

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
That's how I check my valves, and it hasn't leaked yet.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now I'm puzzled a bit! My seat is quite loose at the rear (I can move it left and right about a quarter inch), but still secure ... and I don't want to unbolt stuff to the rear of the seat to check it out (as per my original post, I think I stripped a mounting bolt somewhere so want to leave it alone!). The rear flange appears to be intact. Does anyone else have this looseness?

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,084 Posts
No looseness on mine which has been off several times for new upholstery and general maintenance..
@PhilipJ you have more than one bolt loose if the seat moves sideways.
Pillion is held on by two bolts #15 in rear, tab locks into rear mount of front seat..
either the two nuts #14 holding seat to mounting bracket or the two bolts #16 that mount bracket to fender have loosened..
Suppose rubber bushings #7 could have disintegrated which would cause some sloppy movement..
I've not had problems with #7 bushings but #9, 10, & 11 bushings have worn away and are in need of replacement on my bike..

Reactions: FrodoBaggins

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No looseness on mine which has been off several times for new upholstery and general maintenance..
@PhilipJ you have more than one bolt loose if the seat moves sideways.
Pillion is held on by two bolts #15 in rear, tab locks into rear mount of front seat..
either the two nuts #14 holding seat to mounting bracket or the two bolts #16 that mount bracket to fender have loosened..
Suppose rubber bushings #7 could have disintegrated which would cause some sloppy movement..
I've not had problems with #7 bushings but #9, 10, & 11 bushings have worn away and are in need of replacement on my bike..

View attachment 110408
SoakedKarma, thanks for the effort you put into this reply, and I apologize for not responding earlier! Actually, I mis-spoke in my earlier post ... it's the FRONT of the seat that's loose (I can see there's a flange or tab for just hooking it onto the frame as in your picture) ... it's probably ok as is.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,084 Posts
#6 rubber bushing gone missing could allow front to move sideways..

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
#6 rubber bushing gone missing could allow front to move sideways..
... I'll check ... if it's gone I'll just stuff something in there to tighten it, when the weather cools off (too bloody hot, even here in northern PA! ... I can't tolerate greater than 75F, and certainly not 80-90+ with humidity!) THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
I'd love to see highs in the 80's again. I won't ask for low humidity, that'd be askin too much! Till then, I'm rocking shorts and T-shirt under mesh over pants and jacket. I'm cold natured, so I really don't sweat when it's in the 90's as long as the bike is moving, even with the Louisiana humidity.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd love to see highs in the 80's again. I won't ask for low humidity, that'd be askin too much! Till then, I'm rocking shorts and T-shirt under mesh over pants and jacket. I'm cold natured, so I really don't sweat when it's in the 90's as long as the bike is moving, even with the Louisiana humidity.
... you're even more of a demigod now that I know you not only give GREAT advice on this forum, but can tolerate Louisiana humidity (are you sure you're not reptilian!)

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
... you're even more of a demigod now that I know you not only give GREAT advice on this forum, but can tolerate Louisiana humidity (are you sure you're not reptilian!)
Well, I've been called a snake (among other things), so there may be something to that. A lot has to do with acclimation; when I would visit family in the Texas Panhandle, until I started wearing Chap-Stick, my lips would split after a few days in the low humidity. When Texas relatives visited, they were miserable outdoors in the summer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts