Honda Rebel Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
Black isn't visible at night whether it's flat or glossy. It's a scientific fact, bright colors reflect light better than dark colors and you can't get darker than black...regardless of sheen.

Try this experiment at home...hang a flat black object on a cinder block wall at night and hang a gloss black object nearby. Go 100 yards away with a flashlight and you'll see the cinder block wall much better than either black object.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i did the same on my tank, used fiberglass first like shade tree recomended earlier, then bondo and spot putty for finishing. Ditto on the fuel leak thing, after i had my tank finished and looking good some pinholes started leaking about a month later that i hadnt noticed at the bottom seam of the tank, back to square one because it ruined all that paint i worked so hard on.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
you could go black on black do the whole thing in a gloss black metalic with a strip down the middle like a race stripe on the hood of a muslce car in the flat black then you will have the best of both worlds gloss and flat

if your worried about not being seen at night you can go with a differant color for the glossy base and do the 2nd tone in the flat black just an idea

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
the Virago had pinholes in the seams Caswell cured the issue permanently.

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
I know it's an old thread, I know I responded to it already, but that post on the top of this page?

It still makes me want to :banghead:

:lol2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
yeah that is what i did on my rebel been a few years now and it still hasnt leaked a drop. just make sure that you dont plug your fuel petcock with it as that would be very easy to do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is using bondo to fill up holes on a gas tank a good idea? im repainting my gas tank metallic black soon, and im wondering if the vibrations and bumps would make the bondo fall apart. Maybe using extra hardener would be a good idea? Pretty much planning on restoring the way it looks n make it shine, maybe resell it over the summer. it has 9k miles. Will post pictures when i start the project next week.:Thanx:

Can someone help me I in the picture under the metal that goes around the gas cap is loose how do I fix it can i use bindi
Is using bondo to fill up holes on a gas tank a good idea? im repainting my gas tank metallic black soon, and im wondering if the vibrations and bumps would make the bondo fall apart. Maybe using extra hardener would be a good idea? Pretty much planning on restoring the way it looks n make it shine, maybe resell it over the summer. it has 9k miles. Will post pictures when i start the project next week.:Thanx:

How would I fix the rust around the gas cap part as you can see in the picture there is rust around the gas cap area and it is loose

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,780 Posts
21 - 32 of 32 Posts