Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is using bondo to fill up holes on a gas tank a good idea? im repainting my gas tank metallic black soon, and im wondering if the vibrations and bumps would make the bondo fall apart. Maybe using extra hardener would be a good idea? Pretty much planning on restoring the way it looks n make it shine, maybe resell it over the summer. it has 9k miles. Will post pictures when i start the project next week.:Thanx:

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
Bondo will work, just use it the right way and don't get it too thick.

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
I mean you want to pull the dents as much as possible so you only need thin layers of filler. You don't want the bondo to be a half an inch thick on the tank, that's how it starts cracking and falling out looking like doo doo.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
mojo is right bondo will work and try to mix it well to ensure less air pockets also make sure you sand the entire area free of the old paint this will ensure good adhision bondo directly onto the metal sand it smooth and constantly feeling for high low spots you want a smooth even surface once done hit it with some etching primber then some sandable primber

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
o yea right right, well yea i do body work on cars with bondo, and i didnt know what thick is to you, cuz yea like mojo said half an inch thick is ridiculous. but i dont think i will have a choice on this one...i will figure something out and will post pictures during and after. thanks!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Try starting with tiger hair/resin with chopped up fiberglass and finish with bondo.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Holes or dents?
Dents will be fine but actual holes (fuel leaks), no.
You'd need a good sealer in the tank.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
ditto, gas will lift the bondo. When you see this big old bubble start to form on your tank that you just painted, wait another day and youll see gas leaking all over the place..and that thumping sound you will be hearing will be your head that your beating the wall with..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I shall. Is flat black a nice color on a rebel or cm? Im thinking about it but i dont want to do it and then be like...what did i do. Im really thinking metallic black with good clearcoat...

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
Go with the metallic black, There are too many flat black Rebels out there.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I am a big fan of flat black.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea flat back has turned into a real common custom color. look great on a new tahoe...:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ill probably do metallic black, i want to be more visible at night anyways

·
Super Moderator
29,740 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Try doing it in metallic semi gloss black. That would be awsome.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ill check that out at my local paint shop, doesnt sound stupid

·
Premium Member
11,902 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts