Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well, today I was stripping the frame for powdercoating (havent done steering stem yet) and I noticed this dent in the frame next to the kickstand. about the size of a quarter, and deep enough to fit my thumb. Ive never dealt with anything like this before... I checked stripped frames on ebay for the same dent (as the shifter shaft is right there thinking it may have come like that) but its unique to mine. what is the procedure for something like this? I mean does it sacrifice structural integrity enough to require repair, and if so is it just finding someone to cut and weld in a new section? Im not jumping/stunting the thing lol, Ive seen dirt bikes with engine cradle tube dents, but this is a bit different. my main concern is that this is a long section and there is a crease on either side, so I hit a bump and it bends like a banana. everything looks straight right now.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,796 Posts
A dent that big sure would make frame week . I would suggest you have it repaired properly

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
flite, I'm not quite sure how that would work for this application; as its not open ended like those bars. Are you saying one should cut the dented section out, put a slug between the two good pieces with a sleeve around it then weld it up? Please elaborate, I'm no machinist/welder so I wasnt planning on tackling this one myself. I found a guy who started his career in motorcycle frame fab, the best I could find in my state. https://www.northsideweldingandmachine.com/ He's got a good portfolio, clean welds. He said, I quote "could repair that small piece and powder coat no problem." He wants $375 to fix, blast and powdercoat the frame which seems reasonable. I sent him another email asking how he intends to repair this. will see what he says.

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
What you describe is how it should be done. It will be structurally sound as well as aesthetically pleasing. Using a professional is the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome. thanks for the advice all, and I will post an update/pics when its back. I stripped everything but the steering stem from the frame tonight. slow and steady...

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
I forgot to emphasize that only DOM (drawn over mandrel) or similar high strength tubing should be used. It's very strong and will hold up to the stresses of riding.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Hmmm. I have the same dent in my rigid? Not quite as deep as yours though, but exact same spot.

Gonna check with the guy who did it for me...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do you know how yours got there? I have no idea about mine... i assume it either happened when I was pulling the engine (unlikely as it gets pulled out from the other side also I used a jack) or I bought it like that. its a strange spot for a dent.

·
Super Moderator
7,796 Posts
I forgot to emphasize that only DOM (drawn over mandrel) tubing should be used. It's very strong and will hold up to the stresses of riding.
Or a piece of chrome molly tube can be used . I used that on my 250 to repair the frame after an accident

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
None of the 6 frame's I have have the dent. I have 2-87 & 4-86.
I broke the backbone single tube on a Harley trike I had.
A friend who was a welder long ago fixed it for me by cutting frame apart and putting solid round stock in the tubes and making sure everything lined up correctly and then plug welding the frame back together. Never had it break.
Good luck,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts