Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I just picked up my first bike, a 2001 Honda Rebel 250. I’m currently attempting to re-do a lot of the questionable work done by the previous owner. I had a quick question regarding the turn signals.

Issue: none of the turn signals work! When I try to use the signals, the light Indicator on the bars won’t activate and the lights don’t work at all. I tested the bulbs and they seem to be good to go. Would this be a relay issue or something else? Also, the rest of the lights work fine (head light, taillight).

Thank you very much.

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
Welcome.

Did the PO questionable work include hacking the wiring harness? That has led to a lot of hair pulling. Have you checked the fuses?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll have to double check when I get back into the garage. As far as I could tell, most of the wiring was alright (after I cut through all the electrical tape).

Also, I just noticed... he didn’t have any front signals on the bike either! Would this be the culprit here? I just ordered a set of indicators which should be coming tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it. Thank you very much. I’ll install the new signals when they come in and I’ll update here.

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
Will the new signals have incandescent or LED bulbs? LEDs will require some changes to work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up some 12V incandescent lights. I was debating on doing the switch over to LED, but I might do that for a future project haha.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it as simple as replacing the flasher and hooking up the new lights? I read through a handful of forum posts, but got a little confused on the wiring.

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
Yes. The other way involves adding resistors to make the OEM thermal/mechanical flasher work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, got it. Thank you very much for the insight! If these lights end up not working/if they're junk then I'll follow through with the LED conversion. Do you know of any forum posts that would help with the conversion/know of any flashers that would work? I'm very new to the wiring aspect here, so I'm trying to research as much as I can. I apologize for all the questions haha.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If the front blinkers aren't working would it be because of a fuse in the turn signal switch on the handle bar? I'm having a similar issue after I may have reconnected the bullet tips incorrectly in switching out old lights with new incandescent lights. I've been posting in another thread about the major work of re-wiring so i'll spare reposting about that here just curious about checking the front blinkers. Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
If your rear blinkers are working, your front blinkers should be too. They get power from the same place. It would seem since your fronts are new that they are somehow connected wrong...or they have a bad ground (my vote) add a temporary ground wire from frame ground to your turn signal ground wire to see if this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts