Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I think that's what it's called. My little switch on the left handle for the turn signal. It seems a bit gummy. Works fine, except it real easy to shift it to he other turn signal when trying to click off. Is it supposed to click or is that gummy feeling normal?

Super Moderator
It doesn't have a real solid click. I think you can push the switch in towards the handlebar to cancel the blinkers from either side.

Super Moderator
Sounds like the switch needs to be cleaned and lubricated with dielectric grease. Warning: the tiny springs in the switch can come flying out unexpectedly if you aren't careful. A member here suggested disassembling the switch inside a clear plastic bag just so the parts aren't lost. It's a good idea. You'll be surprised how much smoother switch operation is when it's clean.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I had no idea I could push the lever in. This made my life so much easier guys thank you so much

Registered
On the subject of switches. Our 125 high/low beam switch locked itself in the high beam position. I took it apart, but it is not fixable. So I went to a used parts dealer, and he found me a new switch. Well, the whole harness, since you can鈥檛 really take out the switch.
I worked the switch a number of times to check it before I started the job of changing the harness, and it started to stick as well.
Common problem on the bike?
I got a new switch housing from China, but the harness does not fit. Not without a lot of work.

Super Moderator
You could try spraying the insides of the switch with plastic safe electronic contact cleaner. There is probably a spray lubricant that would be suitable, but don't personally know of one.

Registered
Thanks, but when I took the switch apart, it looked more like a mechanical issue with those fragile parts inside the switch. When the second switch showed the same issues, I though this was a common problem that was well known.

Super Moderator
Since they aren't completely sealed, grime can get in, and the factory lube gets dirty, thins, and gets stiff. They do need periodic cleaning to function properly.

Premium Member
Be very careful and take pictures of how you take it apart. The best way I have found is open it up remove the top switch 1st there are 3 screws one has a brace on it take your time don't be in a hurry. the turn signal button is attached to a plate that has 2 screws, remove the screws and the signal button will come out with the plate. Remove the machine screw and remove the button assembly. Clean old grease with lacquer thinner wear rubber gloves and protect your eyes. put new grease where old grease was and reassemble the button. Know comes the hard part!!looking at the switch with the wires going away from you. The actual switch is on the left side of the bottom part of the switch. One screw on the top with a hold down bracket, remove the screw and bracket, with needle nose pliers grab the top of the switch and gently pull it out. This piece has about 8 different balls and springs and copper parts and they are very small, don't lose any. Take pictures and be carful and be in no hurry. To get it apart the main wires that go to the flat part of the switch need the outer plastic housing gently spread so the the wiring will come off. Be careful. Glean the parts to remove the old grease, put new dielectric grease where the old grease was. and put back together. It is a chore to do. I do them myself and buy new or real good looking housing for the cmx250 and put the cmx450 wiring harness in the switch housing. If you find it is a lot of trouble look at what I do in for sale.
Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts