Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help! 86 CMX250C where in the blue blazes is the turn signal flasher? I can hear it, just can't find it. I know it's somewhere behind the fuse box/battery box area, but short of tearing everything apart... well you get the idea. Trying to install a LED flasher in it's place and change out all the lights for LED's. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Its behind the air box, near the left hand side. You may have more luck going in from under the seat. If you can reach it there, however its not too bad to get from the outside.

Attachments

Reactions: Ice

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just bear in mind that simply changing the flasher unit to an electronic model will not allow you to convert ALL of your indicators to LED - only front set OR rear set - not both...

If you want ALL your indicators to be converted to LED you will need to add some diodes into the circuitry....

I have just done this conversion myself so I can assist if you need it.

Trevor

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buickguy, ty for the picture, explains why I couldn't find it :)
Trevor, please do tell about the diodes, all info is very welcome! I plan on full conversion to all LED... minus the headlight.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok quick question... I got the 3 wire flasher, installed LED's on the rear of the bike, tried the front for the heck of it, had the 4 way flash... removed the front 2 LED's temporarly, noted that it was said to replace the indicator with a 194 LED bulb... how the heck does the indicator lamp assy. come apart? I was worried I was going to break it. Thanks for the help in advance :)

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
With the three wire flasher, you just need to wire the P terminal of the flasher to power the dash light.

To replace the 194 incandescent with an LED 194, you pull up the chrome dash light. Then the rubber boot squishes in to get it off the dash panel. oll the rubber boot back to expose the light bulb.

In the front junction you will find the dash signal light with a light blue and orange wire plugged in to the two signal sides. Unplug those. Attach one side to the third P terminal flasher wire that you have run up there. Attach the other to a ground (dark green wires/junction.
Everything should be fine then.

Here's a simple schematic of how to wire that third terminal.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok total frustration... after rewiring as per above directions.. I ended up with a turn signal indicator that was on dim when no signals were on and steady bright when either side was turned on, each side signals came on but on steady, not flashing... tore all back apart and put back the way it was. And next time I mention that I want to do a project that requires me opening the black box behind the headlight... well please remind me of this project... lol.

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
The original flasher isn't grounded. 12V+ goes in to the flasher with a black wire to the X terminal. 12V+ comes out of the flasher through the L terminal out through a gray wire. The gray wire takes the 12V+ to the signal switch. Left signal connects the gray wire to the orange wire. Right signal connects the gray wire to the light blue wire.
Those go in to the front junction and connect where the orange wire connects with the other orange wires that take 12V+ to the left signalsand the light blue wire take 12V+ to the right signals. Ground only happen at the other side of each signal light.

·
Registered
20 Posts
With the three wire flasher, you just need to wire the P terminal of the flasher to power the dash light.

To replace the 194 incandescent with an LED 194, you pull up the chrome dash light. Then the rubber boot squishes in to get it off the dash panel. oll the rubber boot back to expose the light bulb.

In the front junction you will find the dash signal light with a light blue and orange wire plugged in to the two signal sides. Unplug those. Attach one side to the third P terminal flasher wire that you have run up there. Attach the other to a ground (dark green wires/junction.
Everything should be fine then.

Here's a simple schematic of how to wire that third terminal.
Reading all of this. Swapped out 194 bulb with led. not understanding the junction box connections. P terminal ( one wire? or two?) connecting to the blue and orange wire? all this sound confusing with out see it...

any help here?

some like this?
http://bigbikeparts.com/templates/product.aspx?ProductGuid=13-308&GroupGuid=16#13-308Gallery[pp_gal]/0/

http://bigbikeparts.com/catalog/documents/13-/13-308.pdf

Phill

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am working on my son's 2008 Rebel 250. It was customized by someone else and they removed the turn signals. I'm trying to locate and test the turn signal relay. The closest thing I have in that location is a plug with a DK Green and a black with white stripe wire. Is this correct? It doesn't seem to match the wiring diagram anywhere. Should I keep looking for a grey wire?

Currently the signals come on solid and do not flash. The light just gets brighter.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You probably need to get a service manual for the bike if you are going to try to maintain and work on it yourself.

You can do a search of the site for a wiring diagram using the little magnifying glass at the top of the page.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Stay away from Black/White circuit. it is an auxiliary/secondary ground..
grounding B/W circuit is what engine stop switch does..
thus killing CDI and ability of engine to run

Flasher wiring is independently wrapped Gray and Black wire pair exiting the main harness directed down right side of air box through wire channel/guide attached to rear of air box to left side where flasher is located behind helmet lock..

Welcome @txcaveman

1 - 18 of 18 Posts