Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda rebel cmx250c
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran into a weird problem. I don't know what the previous owner did, so that doesn't help. Long story short, there were led front turn signals in the mirrors. I swapped out the mirrors and re ran the electrical into a more traditional turn signal. It's a 2008 rebel cmx250c. Everything works, but I'm trying to sort out the indicator light. If I put a regular bulb in, all 4 turn signals blink and light doesn't come on, fine. Placed an led bulb 194 in there, and this is where it gets weird. At first the indicator only turned on for the left turn signal. Took bulb out, rotated it 180 degrees, and now it only comes on for the right turn signal. I can't make sense of this. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2008 Honda rebel cmx250c
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Going to try and put an in line diode on each positive blinker into the indicator bulb next weekend, we'll see if it works out

·
Registered
1987 CMX250C
1,594 Posts
Think you will find two diodes may already have been added when led was added..
Missed the 194 being an LED.. as with all light emitting diodes and diodes in general they only allow voltage to flow in one direction...
with incandescent bulbs the indicator lamp ground switches from left to right side opposite from signal direction selected.. led indicator will only work when voltage applied to + side and when you switch signal direction led indicator won't work as you are applying + v to negative terminal of led.. supplying separate ground solves the problem.. fairly easy to do within the junction box under headlamp without cutting into wiring..
This may give you an idea how the signal system works and why diodes are added for the indicator lamp to operate when upgrading to LED signals..

·
Registered
2008 Honda rebel cmx250c
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think you will find two diodes may already have been added when led was added..
Missed the 194 being an LED.. as with all light emitting diodes and diodes in general they only allow voltage to flow in one direction...
with incandescent bulbs the indicator lamp ground switches from left to right side opposite from signal direction selected.. led indicator will only work when voltage applied to + side and when you switch signal direction led indicator won't work as you are applying + v to negative terminal of led.. supplying separate ground solves the problem.. fairly easy to do within the junction box under headlamp without cutting into wiring..
This may give you an idea how the signal system works and why diodes are added for the indicator lamp to operate when upgrading to LED signals..

View attachment 109712

So I found what looks like a flasher relay and I don't see any diodes. Everything works, except for when the indicator bulb is installed. Hence why I'm planning on diodes

·
Registered
2008 Honda rebel cmx250c
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"fairly easy to do within the junction box under headlamp without cutting into wiring.."

What do you mean by that specifically? Am I thinking about this wrong?

·
Registered
1987 CMX250C
1,594 Posts
within wire junction box located below headlamp disconnect both leads to indicator bulb and plug one into the free/unused bullet connector ground wire.. the ground will be a green wire with multiple/gang connector one of which isn't used..

connect single lead of 2 diode set to the other wire of the indicator bulb..
The two remaining leads of 2 diode set are connected to the bullet connectors where indicator light was plugged into..

By adding 3.9mm bullet connectors (2 male 1 female) to diode set the modification becomes plug and play easy to reverse if needed..
Or one could solder the connections.. Whatever works for you..

·
Registered
2008 Honda rebel cmx250c
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome. That's basically what I was thinking, except your way doesn't involve cutting stuff. I appreciate the help, I'll let you know how it turns out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts