Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could only find this thread and it doesn't really say much about it.

Has anyone done it? Has anyone installed a blade style fuse box instead of the older style?

My bike seems to have some pretty annoying electrical problems and I'm pretty sure all the wiring is original from '86. I blew the main fuse on Saturday night and had to bridge it with tin foil to get home. That made me VERY uncomfortable. But I found the issue today. It was the blinker relay. Now there's another relay on it and all seems to be going fine (except that one of the coils isn't getting power) and I figure it's just a good idea to start from the ground up.

I already have the wiring diagram. In fact, I made a bigger, clearer one for this forum a while back.

Any advice or experiences are welcome. I think it would be a good idea to replace every single wire with a better gauge and have it all be brand new. Especially since I'll be bobbering this bike in the Spring.

Thanks in advance again!

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
I think it would be easier to fit a gen 2 wiring loom & modify it to suit a gen 1

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was one thing I thought of. Updating the wiring since I'll be doing it from scratch. Then I could use a 2nd gen CDI and not have to worry about finding one for the 1st gen if it comes to that again down the road.

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
That would be the way to go for sure

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And there really shouldn't be any problems doing that, right?

I mean... right now I have the blinker relay from a Ford on the damn thing, so it seems like there's just not a lot to worry about with wiring these things. haha

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
You might want to compare the differences in the wiring diagrams. There are some.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just figure if I'm replacing the entire thing, it might be okay. But, you're right, I should do a side-by-side and see if there's anything I'm not considering yet.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
One of the key issues with wiring is the proper connectors and connections. Making your own wiring harness is not recommended unless you have an automotive electrical shop with a good selection of connectors and tools. For mere mortals it is much better to start with a good unmolested factory wiring harness and go from there.
Everyone thinks its real easy to hack into wiring and black tape and solder it back together again, and it is quite easy to do that, but problems almost always follow, and if there are a lot of amateur wiring mods on your bike , its just easier to scrap all the hacked up stuff and start over with a stock harness. There's no need to go to heavier wires. Honda knew what they were doing, and heavier wires will just add weight and bulk and take up space that doesn't exist.
Our resident electrical guru Buickguy is recovering from a serious illness, but he may stop by to add to my comments.

·
Super Moderator
30,346 Posts
The second generation had some safety switches the first didn't. That's not the only difference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would definitely want to start with a stock harness whether it be 1st gen or I'm able to upgrade to the 2nd gen system. There's nothing custom I want to add to the bike that the stock harnesses could not handle. I guess I just don't know what the major differences between the 1st and 2nd gen bikes are.

Jack says that the engines on the older bikes are more reliable so I'd like to stick with what I have and replace some of the more worn parts, but if I can update to the newer CDI and such, that would be awesome.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
I don't really know why the first gen would be more reliable. AFAIK they are the same engine in pretty much all respects. Unless you happened to get a new one with a cracked crankshaft like I did, they should all be pretty reliable mechanically.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He said something about the valves being bigger? Which I was not aware of, but I figure he has been in the game long enough to know better than I do.

It was in one of his ebay listings. An '87 he has for $1,500. Less than 3,000 original miles if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
I wouldn't argue that level of detail with him either. It is hard to figure why Honda would have changed valve size though. there are a few other detail differences in the older engines though, even though they are essentially the same.

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
Larger valves would help explain why there is such a big difference in main jet sizes in the carb.

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
Good to know.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Having looked hard at both options I think it would be simpler to go with a good first generation harness and do the wiring modification to fit a 2nd generation CDI which folks here have worked out and can coach you through. That would be a single straight forward mod and you would not have to worry about some of the other incompatibilities between the 2 generations such as the kick stand and several other safety switches etc., and your wire colors will be easer to trace and match. Just my observation from having considered the options.

Sometimes it is not as easy to reinvent and retrofit the wheel as it might appear, even though it does come out a similar shape. :lol2:

·
Super Moderator
13,126 Posts
Shen is right, it would be easier to use a 1st gen harness and do a simple modification to run the 2nd gen CDI than trying to wire up a 2nd gen harness.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts