Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So, I just bought an '86 CMX-250c to learn on. It's in pretty good shape but has had some...creative mods done. I think it's like, partly bobbed - it has an aftermarket bobber seat and the fender has been removed, and with it the brake/tail lights. As you can see from pic below, there's currently nothing there except reflectors that the last owner stuck on for temporary use.

I'm seeking taillight/brake light/license light installation advice. I have a bootleg copy of the Honda service manual but it isn't doing me a ton of good as a newb since what I'm looking at isn't standard. It DOES have working blinkers, so I really just need to install the brake/tail light. I purchased this taillight after seeing someone here successfully install one, but I only intend to hook it up to the brake/taillight wires.

To start, will the taillight I got work for my needs? This forum is amazing, but almost too amazing, as there are a ton of resources and I've been wading through them all morning. I saw this one pop up a few times.

Second, any obvious issues with the wires I've got? I do have the wiring schema, etc., from another post and need to teach myself wiring basics, but I can handle all that - mostly just concerned about missing some obvious huge detail because I'm so new.

Third, I found a full fender with all the lights or sale, $95. Any compelling reason I shouldn't just have this re-installed and rewired (I'd like to do this myself but it's probably out of my range)? I'm not sure how much it would cost to get this done professionally.

Thanks for any and all help, y'all are the best,

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
If you get the fender assembly, it may or may not have the rear wiring sub harness with it ( number 9 in this diagram 1986 Honda CMX250C A WIRE HARNESS | Cheap Cycle Parts ) . With that, it's simply plug and play to get the factory lights going. If it's missing, someone here or on ebay may have a used one. A new one is only $30.00.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.
If you get the fender assembly, it may or may not have the rear wiring sub harness with it ( number 9 in this diagram 1986 Honda CMX250C A WIRE HARNESS | Cheap Cycle Parts ) . With that, it's simply plug and play to get the factory lights going. If it's missing, someone here or on ebay may have a used one. A new one is only $30.00.
Thanks, this is incredibly helpful. I'm increasingly thinking of just buying the new fender instead of screwing around with whatever weird setup I've got now... plus I'd prefer to have a back fender anyway. Thanks for the encouragement!!

·
Super Moderator
30,544 Posts
If you ever get caught in the rain, a rear fender's gonna eliminate "skunk stripe" and all it entails.

Reactions: scare_quotes

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,084 Posts
You should find a connector block under seat with 5 wires..
It would have connected to fender sub-harness
Green=Ground, Green/Yellow=Brake, Brown=Tail/License light, Light Blue=Right turn Orange=Left turn

the Amazon tail light wiring Blue will connect to Orange Rebel circuit,, Black will connect to Rebel harness Green,,,
Yellow connects to Rebel Brown & Red connects to Rebel Green/Yellow leaving Blue to connect to Rebel Orange..

Any Black harness wire is the BAT2 circuit which is energized when ignition switched On..
Brown, Brown/White, Brown/Red, Brown/Blue circuits all belong to lighting circuits

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would recommend going with an aftermarket fender like this one (it says it won't fit by the year, but it's universal)

You may have to do some fabrication, but it is cost effective. Measure all your holes and compare it with the measurements on the listing.

Looks like this would do it for a tail light, licence plate holder, and licence plate light.

Holes should match 3.7 cm for the fender and 1.5 inch are about the same, but you may need to drill a little if you cannot fit a bolt.

You should be able to use the signals that are on there as long as they work. The last guy probably put in a relay that works with LEDs.

You can find a wire stripper and the heads to the bullet style electrical fitting at a Harbor Freight. You can go to an Ace Hardware and get some stainless bolts that won't rust. Remember to always bring the part in with you when you go so you know it will fit.

You can check out my non traditional Rebel rebuild on the forum

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
302 Posts
You can do as OkiRebel250
suggested, & you can keep
as a bobber if you want. Or, you can make it back to original or even more for comfort & enjoyment. iMO the latter is the best. More storage too!
Welcome to the forum by the way. We have all got varying opinions of what is nice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can do as OkiRebel250
suggested, & you can keep
as a bobber if you want. Or, you can make it back to original or even more for comfort & enjoyment. iMO the latter is the best. More storage too!
Welcome to the forum by the way. We have all got varying opinions of what is nice.
lol

I really split down the middle and kept a lot of the original on my bike, but seeing as he does not have the original fender, it is the more expensive option to go back to the original.

I never liked the seat on the original btw. My knees were always too high and my butt always hurt.

If you continue on the fabrication route, I would suggest a different seat.

If you want to keep it original, try a few junk yards to save you money. Otherwise it will cost you.

I once got a whole, not running, parts bike for a different bike off craigslist for $40 that I wanted to go more of the original route. Keep your eyes peeled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, SoakedKarma - I really appreciate it. Sorry about the late reply, I didnt get notifications about them for some reason.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would recommend going with an aftermarket fender like this one (it says it won't fit by the year, but it's universal)
Thanks so much for these detailed suggestions. You're right, he did rewire in such a way that the turn signals still work. I'm trying to keep this cheap for now but I'm going to consider your fender suggestion down the lane - I really want it back, I get the bobber appeal but I'm a maximalist type of gal. Plus I don't like getting sprayed with road juice.

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
302 Posts
Viva the maximalists!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts