Honda Rebel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harbor freight has their 1/2" click type torque wrench on sale for the next three days - $9.99 1/2" Torque Wrench You can order it online or your local store may have it in stock.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It should be pointed out to the newbies that the working range with passable sensitivity of a 1/2-inch torque wrench is in the range of tightening the rear axle nuts, and definitely not for head bolts.

·
Super Moderator
31,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a coupon that will work for all 3 sizes, good through 8/30/14. My local store never requires the actual coupon, I just read them the coupon code.

Thanks for adding that. Makes acquiring the full range of torque values on a bike much cheaper (see jsonder's post below).

It should be pointed out to the newbies that the working range with passable sensitivity of a 1/2-inch torque wrench is in the range of tightening the rear axle nuts, and definitely not for head bolts.
Absolutely right on. Working in the mid range rather than the lower or upper end of the wrench gives the most accurate values. That's why I have two torque wrenches, a smaller 1/4 inch drive that reads in inch pounds, and a half inch drive. Recently got a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter as my 1/4" sockets didn't cover a wide enough range of bolt sizes.

·
Super Moderator
31,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another good use for a hand impact wrench. The shock the wrench provides is more likely to loosen a stubborn bolt without shearing it off than a ratchet is.

Reactions: rickybug

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks to all of you.
Flitecontrol, I had one of those hand impact wrenches in my hand today while at Harbor Freight and decided against it. Guess I'll make a trip back and, while there, pick up some of those t-handle hex wrenches. Harbor Freight is having a really big sale today and this weekend---just in case anyone is interested.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have all three sizes of Hf torque wrenches, checked them on the calibrator at work and they were surprisingly accurate. I've owned mine for a while and they still check out good.

One other thing to note is when in storage, the handle should be loosened to keep tension off the bands.

·
Registered
128 Posts
FOOL AM I !!!
I paid $116.00 for a made in U.S.A. 1/4" torque wrench with certificate of calibration.
On the plus side,it came with a poly carrying box...

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
FOOL AM I !!!
I paid $116.00 for a made in U.S.A. 1/4" torque wrench with certificate of calibration.
With junk coming out of China, the certificate makes it worth it. At work we are required to get them calibrated every year.

·
Super Moderator
31,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FOOL AM I !!!
The HF comes in a plastic box too. :thumb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks! I always wanted an 1/4" in/lb torque wrench...
An now i have one - The Harbor freight $9.99 coupon worked great at my local HF!
Thanks again...

An for anyone that doesnt have the HF 60" Allhardwood workbench I definitely recommend it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-workbench-93454.html
I've had the HF 60" Hardwood workbench for a couple years now - and it's Great - ya cant even buy the materials for a bench that nice for the HF price ($159).
Put the 25% OFF COUPON to use on the bench! You'll love it!
Very Nice Bench - especially for about $120 using the coupon!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts