Honda Rebel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thank you guys. I am sorry to be bugging you guys over and over again.

If you have used duct tape, how long did it last. Did you have to remove the duct tape for your next tire change? If yes, how did you cleanup the adhesive residue of the old duct tape on the rim? Same question for electrical tape.

Can edges of the duct tape damage the tube?

How about using Handlebar tape for a rim strip? It's about the right width (30 mm) . Electrical tape is only 19 mm wide.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
I used a quality electrical tape pulled tight as to stretch it tightly going around several times to build thickness..
you want thick layer that replaces rather thick rubber rim strips..
if wrapping from right side of rim it wrapped counter clockwise so it would tighten if there is any movement..
past time I replace the tires on my bike as they are 8 years old.. so electrical tape lasted quite a while for me..
Kerosene and a lot of rubbing will remove duct tape glue..

Spoke wheel rim strips aren't that expensive..

Reactions: Yaatri

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
927 Posts
The reason that I use build-up tape is that at the end of every job at work the guys would throw away what wasn't used on the job. They knew the next job would come of the full set what was necessary for the next job. I saved the company an awful lot of money over many years by keeping much of this in my truck stock. Still I found much of it in the trash. Corporate waste is a real thing. And curbside shopping is a real thing too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The reason that I use build-up tape is that at the end of every job at work the guys would throw away what wasn't used on the job. They knew the next job would come of the full set what was necessary for the next job. I saved the company an awful lot of money over many years by keeping much of this in my truck stock. Still I found much of it in the trash. Corporate waste is a real thing. And curbside shopping is a real thing too.
Thanks SK, FC and emil again.
Is this thing what you are talking about Emil?
My preference is to use a rim strip but I have found one that's 5" wide (too wide) and one that's 1" wide. I refuse to pay $7-8 for shipping alone and then wait for a week. If I can't source a rim strip, I would try to get what Emil suggested, if not, I would use duct tape or electrical tape.
Have an old bicycle sitting in the backyard. If the tube has not dry rotted, I might make a rim strip from it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Don't precisely know the answer to your question as to whether a bicycle tube and the rim strip are made from the same material. I believe they are both rubber, but the rim strip is thinner material, if that makes any difference.

If you decide on tape, this should work: Nashua Tape 1 in. x 3.33 yd. Stretch and Seal Self-Fusing Silicone Tape in Black-1743082 - The Home Depot The tape stretches, making the functional length much longer than that shown on the package.
I made a stupid mistake in converting 3.33 yds to inches. I multiplies 3.33 by 12 to get 40', which would be too short as the circumference of the rim strip was ABOUT 43". Stupid me, forgot that there are 3 feet to a yard. So the length of this tape is 120 inches. I couldn't find the thickness of this tape. Does it need multiple wraps or is once around enough? If once around is enough, this would be the best solution.

·
Premium Member
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
927 Posts
Personally because it's stretch tape, I would use the whole roll stretching it to about 2/3 original width as I went. That ought to give you almost exactly 3 wraps, actually a little more than 3.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Personally because it's stretch tape, I would use the whole roll stretching it to about 2/3 original width as I went. That ought to give you almost exactly 3 wraps, actually a little more than 3.
I wonder what its Poisson's ratio is. Most materials have a positive Poisson's ratio of less than 0.5. Metals have a Poisson's ratio of bout .3

I ordered X-treme tape from Amazon which sells 1" as well as 1.5" widths. The1 inch version has triangular cross section while 1.5: width comes in rectangular cross section. If Poisson's ratio is 0.5 then the shrinkage is 50% of stretch. If you stretch it by 30%, its width would decrease by 15%. About $14 for 36' length of 1 inch tape is pretty good. 36' roll of 1.5 is $20-25.

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
Now I have to look up Poisson's ratio. o_O

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
2,466 Posts
There are several rim tapes on the market to convert spoked wheels to tubeless..
I've considered that it would be easier but have opted not to proceed with a change as tube type rims outer edges have slightly different contour than tubeless rims..

couple of examples

should be fairly reliable except when wheel truing is needed..

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Now I have to look up Poisson's ratio. o_O
Ignore the associated maths. The pull needed to stretch it introduces strain and stress in the material. When you stretch a strip or a string ( it gets longer), its width decreases. If you stretch a string, its diameter would reduce. Poisson's ratio relates the amount of narrowing to the elongation. If Poisson's ratio were 1, the amount of stretching and narrowing would be the same. If Poisson's ratio is less than if, the narrowing is less than the elongation. If a foot long tape is stretched to 18 inches, elongation is 6 inches. Poisson's ratio of .5 does not mean that the width would reduce by 3 inches. A 6 inch elongation of a 12 inch tape is 50% (6/12). So reduction in width would be 25%. If that tape were 1" wide, its width would reduce by 25% to 3/4 inch. Anything more than that is not useful to most of us.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Thanks for explaining it in words that even an oldster like me could understand.🙂

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Thanks for explaining it in words that even an oldster like me could understand.🙂
Glad that you understood even though it wasn't written well. The first time I heard of Poisson's ratio was in my high school (or was it middle school?) physics class more than 50 years ago.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Glad that you understood even though it wasn't written well. The first time I heard of Poisson's ratio was in my high school (or was it middle school?) physics class more than 50 years ago.
Well, I decided to use Gorilla tape for the rim strip. Still waiting for the stem fishing tool linked to by SK. Fortunately I had ordered two different kind.
P1 Tools Valve Stem Puller/Installer Extractor Tool
KiWAV Tire Valve Stem Puller compatible for Motorcycle

I could not tell for sure from the picture for the KiWAV tool whteher it screwed in or on the valve stem. It does screw into the valve stem ( in place of valve core)
I wish the stem fishing tool cable for were a bit longer and stiffer but it worked. I pinched the tube again while installing the tire. Took the tube our and patched it again. I was able to push the tire about 3 /4 way around the rim. So close! I new when I pinched it. I was rushing as it was getting dark. I still have the unused new tube. Good that I did not try with the new tube.

Any pointers for installation? When installing the tire, is there a right or wrong way of using the tire irons? I am using HF 24 inch tire irons. I put the concave side down between the rim and tire edge, That seemed to make sense to me. I also found out that one of the tire irons is much thicker than the other one.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
The front wheel rubber strip is inexpensive & arrives quickly.
I ordered mine this morning, it is to arrive on Monday.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
The front wheel rubber strip is inexpensive & arrives quickly.
I ordered mine this morning, it is to arrive on Monday.
I pinched it between the tire iron and the rim. It's not the absense of rim strip that led to the pinch.
That's rather quick. Since I have not taken the front wheel off yet, I don't know the width of the front rim strip. Do you what the width of the front rim strip is? And where did you order it from? I see it on D&K but again there is a minimum shipping charge. I should have ordered it when I ordered the tires from D&K. Rear rim strip was out of stock at D&K. If they had both front and rear in stock I probably would have ordered them both from D&K in spite of the shipping charge since each one of them is a dollar and change.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
There is a $3 shipping charge. But all in all for $5.25 I thought it was worth it. Not having to guess whether I had the right amount of build up tape or right kind of tape.
Some others charge $5.25 but free shipping so it costs the same.

·
Super Moderator
30,914 Posts
That will work. Have no idea why it is called a dirt bike inner tube unless it's thicker than standard tubes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
After I pinched the tube when trying to install the tire, I decided to install a new tube--- patches did their job but it had more patched than I liked. I had a virgin tube at hand. I called an independent shop, who told me they worked only on Harley's and because they didn't have a Honda Rebel tube in stock and they wouldn't take up the job because of they pitched my tube during installation, they would have nothing o replace it with. I finally lucked out when one shop said they would do it for $25. One bead was already over the edge. All that remained to be done was to slip the new tube into the tire fish the valve stem out an slip the second bead over the rim. I was so happy and grateful that the rear tire had been installed that I didn't check the location of the valancing dot. It's about half an inch to the side. When I slipped the first bead over the rim, I ensured that rotational mark on the tire matched the rotation of the wheel. I am still going to try to do the front the tire myself as it is more plaint. I have two spare tubes on order for the front wheel.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
The rubber Rim strip that arrived on Saturday is an inch and 1/8 wide. I haven't taken apart the old Tire yet, how wide is the original?

41 - 60 of 93 Posts