Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New member here.

I have a 96 rebel 250, just over 6,000 miles on it. I bought it back in June with about 4,800 miles.

Sorry in advance for the long post, but want to provide as much info as I can/back story.

Since I've owned it I've had 2 flats.

The first was a bad tube stem on the front, which I took to a local shop for repair as I was out and about and needed it repaired quickly. They quickly replaced the tube and had me on the road again in no time.

The second was a small screw through the rear tread, which also punctured the tube. This time I slimed it, inflated it and got it to hold pressure, so I careful made my way home and parked it until it could be repaired.

I called the same shop, but they couldn't get me in until mid August. I've done tire replacements when tight on cash, so I ordered the tube and figured I'd just do it myself. Same exact IRC tube that was in there, both of which are sized properly.

Anyways, tube comes in, I already had the bike up in the air, wheel off, tire bead broken and tube removed. Installed the new one, filled it up, set it on the bike, spent a while adjusting chain to get the tire as close as I could to see straight. Measured from the center of swing arm bolt to the center of the rear axle, as well as measured to chain adjustment bolts off the back.

So riding the bike, when not accelerating, it feels "bumpy" from the rear. Looked over the bead, and the bead indicator didn't sit tight to the rim as I feel it should. I then got it back up in the air, deflated the tire, soaped it up real good, ratchet strapped it, as a well as hit out uneven spots with a rubber mallet, re inflated multiple times, some with high psi, some at 40 then lowered down to 30.

I now have bead sitting evenly on both sides all way around the rim, but the bead indicator on the tire still does not meet the rim.

Also, I have pictures of the tire prior to the tube replacement and the bead sits the same way before and after. The original bead was set by a different local motorcycle shop.

So now finally to my actual question. Would you consider this bead to be acceptable?

I will attach photos of the tire before and after the tube replacement. These are before.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Light
Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame Crankset
Tire Wheel Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I originally tried soap and Windex, which made my tire nice and clean, but didn't get it to seat 100%. Also, I filled it up a few times to 75-80 psi, with a air compressor, with stem valve removed. I tried a good while with mild effect to get it with soaping, the ratchet strap, and a rubber mallet.

Today I took the tire off again, tried a few times like that. Tried using my foam wire pulling lube I had laying around. Followed by pulling out the tube and replacing it again (I ordered 2 to be safe so had an extra). Repeated process a few times with the new new tube.

The rim still does not meet the bead indicator of the tire. I just took it for a ride to see how it was riding. The "bumpy" ride seems less noticable, at least at the speeds I was doing.

I should also mention that this tire comes off and on the rim with ease, like once I pull a portion over with a tire iron, the rest comes off by hand. Going on is alot easier then I would expect as well. The tire seems to be in pretty good shape, but I'm thinking it may just be the tire.

It seems like the more air I put in above around 10psi, the bigger the gab between rim and bead indicator gets.

·
Super Moderator
32,565 Posts
If the bead indicator is uniform around the rim, I'd say that may be as close as you are going to get. Has the tire been balanced?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe so. In june, a local shop had it in for inspection and flipped the tire for me (it was rotating in the wrong direction vs the arrow on the tire). They put on the invoice that it was balanced as well. I'm not 100% sure, but believe they did.

So long as this gap would be considered acceptable, I'll be content for now until it's time to replace the tires. It'll just get my OCD going lol, since the front tire sits up against the bead indicator and it appears to be the same brand (no brand printed).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts