Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
03 Rebel 250
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought a 2003 Rebel 250 exactly one week ago, that had not be started/run since 2016. I knew that it was going to need a new battery and a good carb cleaning, among other things. I was able to get it to fire and run briefly on Monday, via a small jump box and starting fluid.

I ordered a new battery for it Sunday evening. It arrived on Tuesday, and I installed it.

I ordered a carb rebuild kit for it on Monday. I watched some carb-removal videos on Tuesday. Kit arrived on Wednesday. I immediately jumped into it. I pulled the carb and started my disassembly.



I'm not too worried about cleaning those jets or the float needle, since I have replacements in my kit.



I opened it all up, and found that the diaphragms and components were all in relatively good shape. Dare I say, like new? It only has 2133-miles on it. I cleaned everything with carb cleaner and all was going pretty well, EXCEPT that I couldn't get any air or fluid to pass through the accelerator port going into the carb body or the nozzle on the inside of the body. I tried blasting it with compressed air, more carb cleaner, I poked down inside it with a tiny plastic straw, more carb cleaner, more air, I poked deep down inside of it with a metal wire, more carb cleaner, more air, and more carb cleaner until I ran out of carb cleaner. I then switched to brake cleaner which I don't like to use on carbs, but was careful not to get it on any perishable bits, which most have now been removed anyway. Repeated this process many times, to no avail. I went through three cans of brake cleaner, but in doing so was capturing the run off in a metal coffee can (yes, I know. This is getting crazy). Still no success. I then soaked the bottom half of the carb in that brake cleaner (accelerator port and nozzle submerged) for an entire day. Still, no airflow through it. No success.

I continued to work with it for a couple more days, in and out of the brake cleaner, compressed air, poking it with a wire, repeat, repeat again.

Early Saturday morning, based on a recommendation from a motorcycle mechanic friend who prides himself on carb rebuilds, I purchased a bucket of the Gunk carb cleaner. It was delivered late that morning. I immediately went back to work, and submerged my carb, all but the plastic idle adjust knob which is still attached. I left it there for approx 20-hours.



Still, no success.
 

·
Registered
03 Rebel 250
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
After a little brainstorming early this afternoon, I decided to try difluoroethane (compressed air for dusting electronics). I figured maybe MAYBE I could freeze it enough that that contraction/expansion in the metal would be enough to set the blockage free. No dice. I blasted it again, and placed it back into the Gunk dunk-o-matic bucket for a while. Back out of the bucket, compressed air, usual routine, no success.

I then custom made a little wire picky thingie that would allow me to poke and prod at the nozzle from the backside within the carb body itself. That is a teeny TINY little port. More blasting, more cleaning, more failure.

I do not know anyone close with a ultrasonic cleaner. I have a friend who is an hour away, but perhaps that may be my next step. I'm considering heat, but am a little reluctant to do so. I'm running out of ideas.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top