Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
National Cycle's Streetshield EX. Corbin Saddle. Tourmaster Saddlebags.
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a throttle lock for my '06 Rebel 250 and have pared the choices (based on the money I'm willing to spend) down to two............either the Vista Cruise or the Vista Cruise Universal. I'm wondering if anyone is presently using either of these who might be willing to share comments and suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
I have, and like, the Vista Cruise Universal. Pretty easy install IIRC - it's been a lot of years. There is some initial adjustment of the thumb lock spring tension, but after that, leave it and forget it. In an emergency situation, twisting the throttle will overcome the lock with no need to manually release it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why did you choose that one over the Vista Cruise? Seems the Vista Cruise is less conspicuous.

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
IIRC, the application chart at the time indicated the regular Vista Cruise wouldn't fit the Rebel with the stock grips. But it's been a decade since I got it, and I could be wrong about that.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and ordered the Universal Vista Cruise last night. Got it for $33.50 delivered.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My throttle lock is supposed to be delivered any minute now. Wish I'd gotten it a few days ago because I took a 150 mile ride yesterday where it would have been very nice to use. Anxious to get it and get it installed.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I just installed my new lock and took the bike for a little 5 mile ride. Couldn't be happier. This is possibly one of the "mostest goodest" mods I've made to my bike. Now I can take my Arthritic hand off the throttle occasionally and clench the fist to help clear the pain. So-o-o-o glad I did this.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took a moderately long ride today and wished I'd had a wing nut in place of the acorn nut that adjusts this throttle lock. I had adjusted it "just" soft enough it vibrated downward in speed. I think the rubber could change in thickness in relationship to the temperature, so I'm going to find some way to be able to slightly change it on-the-fly. When I installed it, the temp was in the high 90's and this morning when I rode it was in the high 60's...........so I think when installed, the rubber "gasket" was thicker. Hmmmmmm. Interesting.

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
Mine kept losing speed too. I finally tightened the acorn nut to what I thought at the time was too much. Hasn't slipped since.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to go to ACE today and see if I can find some kind of knob to replace the nut so I can fine tune it rather than having to dive in my saddle bags for a wrench.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a followup for anyone interested in installing a throttle lock.

I purchased the correct size wingnut to replace the acorn nut on my throttle lock. Being able to make minor adjustments on the fly, based on the ambient air temps and rough/smooth conditions of the road have made the wingnut a welcome improvement. I've got it down now where it holds adequately in most conditions..............though it still needs minor tweeking now and then. I'm very pleased with the throttle lock and very happy I made the addition to my bike. I've traveled about 250 miles both on city streets and highways since installing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts