Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Having a really a nice time learning about these bike# through this forum.

So, I finally got the rebel 450 all buttoned up with some minor body work, clean carbs, a new battery, and freshly lined tank.

It started right up! Probably, not been done in almost a decade.

It held an idle real well and I got around to check the lighting and throttle etc.

So, I took a break and went back after a few hours.
This time started up fine again, and then died after I was messing with the choke.

Next, I went to start and it just gave me the a few chugs and the clicks.
So, I'm thinking I left the keys in or lights on or something, and got to check the battery. Find out I have 12.4v across the battery and the solenoid fuse looked good.

I gave it a few more tries, jiggled some wires, and the solenoid just clicks away.

Gave it another break and came back and it started.

So good but now, I just went to move the bike and it is endlessly clicking. Really similar to a dying battery. But still have the same voltage!

What do y'all think is next?
Check the battery ground , solenoid voltage, and then starter motor voltage?

The neutral gear light came on, and the headlight kills when the starter is engaged.

Thanks for your time and help!

Super Moderator
Check the voltage while you're trying to start it. If it goes way down your battery is the issue.

You can get 12.4 v on a nonloaded battery that is bad - it's the cranking amps that matter.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Check the voltage while you're trying to start it. If it goes way down your battery is the issue.

You can get 12.4 v on a nonloaded battery that is bad - it's the cranking amps that matter.
Thanks for the advice.
The battery is brand new, so maybe it just needs a charge.

Do you think it could drop drop because I let it idle for to long ?

Super Moderator
It's debatable whether idling serves to charge or discharge a Rebel battery. I don't recommend prolonged idling.

There have been several instances of members being sold batteries that were defective out of the box.

Registered
I suggest also checking your stator resistance. Have had trouble with 2 of mine and found questionable to zero continuity within. Replaced with known working one.

You can get rule out a new solenoid for $20.

I use $35 wet cell (Interstate) batteries in 2 of my 450's and keep them on trickle charges all the time.

If you bike still has the OEM CDI, I recommend checking it and/or replacing. There are new ones still available. Costly piece of electronics (you can find them cheap!), but spark management is key and gets ruled out instantly with replacement. Mine have been turn-key since.

I have heard that idling MC's does drain the battery.

WOT is where you wanna be to get the charging effect!

Registered
It's debatable whether idling serves to charge or discharge a Rebel battery.
I have personally had my meter on the battery during idle, the voltage wasn't enough to charge a battery. Maybe enough to keep it at voltage amps, but not enough to put amps back in. Amps are what determines how long you can keep trying to start. Batteries with low voltage are a determination of low amps.

If you need an analogy, water volume:water pressure = amps:voltage.

For what it's worth, the 450 uses more amps at idle with the same alternator as the 250.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I have personally had my meter on the battery during idle, the voltage wasn't enough to charge a battery. Maybe enough to keep it at voltage amps, but not enough to put amps back in. Amps are what determines how long you can keep trying to start. Batteries with low voltage are a determination of low amps.

If you need an analogy, water volume:water pressure = amps:voltage.

For what it's worth, the 450 uses more amps at idle with the same alternator as the 250.
Thanks for the help and comments.

Its seems that my battery did lose cranking amp ability overtime while at idle. I put it on a maintainer/charger over night and it cranked back up the next day.
Seems like it will be a good idea to always try and leave this battery hooked on, after a long idle or moving at slow speeds.

Registered
I would suggest you have a battery issue, my bike can sit for 3-4 months during winter and still fire up with gusto. I idle it for 10 - 15 minutes to warm the oil and shut it down. In a month or two it will restart just fine again. The only drain on the battery at idle is the headlight and the alternator will put out sufficient voltage at idle to overcome the drain of the headlight. You could idle it all day and it will not drain the battery. The engine does not run off the battery it has a separate ignition system. The alternator is a duel function one component is for ignition and the other component is for lighting and charging the battery. It has 11 coils two are larger for ignition and the remaining 9 are for charging.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I would suggest you have a battery issue, my bike can sit for 3-4 months during winter and still fire up with gusto. I idle it for 10 - 15 minutes to warm the oil and shut it down. In a month or two it will restart just fine again. The only drain on the battery at idle is the headlight and the alternator will put out sufficient voltage at idle to overcome the drain of the headlight. You could idle it all day and it will not drain the battery. The engine does not run off the battery it has a separate ignition system. The alternator is a duel function one component is for ignition and the other component is for lighting and charging the battery. It has 11 coils two are larger for ignition and the remaining 9 are for charging.
This is great information!
Thank you very much.

Super Moderator
I would suggest you have a battery issue, my bike can sit for 3-4 months during winter and still fire up with gusto. I idle it for 10 - 15 minutes to warm the oil and shut it down.
When are you idling the bike, before or during storage, and why?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts