Honda Rebel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a modified 1999 Honda Rebel CMX250. I bought this bike in October 2020, and by March 2021, it had become what you see here.
It was built to be simple and lightweight, with aesthetics inspired by "frisco chopper" and enduro style motorcycles. The bodywork and wheels lend the bike a narrow appearance, while the handlebars and trials tires give it an enduro vibe. The name Toshiko is a Japanese name loosely meaning "agile child", which I felt is a fitting name for this small nimble Honda. This is my first custom motorcycle, and was intended to be a serious "no corners cut" project.

This year it was shown at the first Front Row Moto Show in Phoenix AZ, and was also featured on Bikebound.com (Bantamweight Bobber: Honda Rebel 250 “Toshiko”).
The build is also available in a vlog series on my YouTube channel "FridaysTheBomb".

I wanted to share this motorcycle with a community that likes the Rebel. Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoy it.
-Joe

Specs:
Wheels and tires:
-Excel Takasago 21 front, 18 rear
-Shinko SR241
-Custom length spokes

Lights:
-Bates style headlight and tail light
-Neutral and kickstand light relocated to frame

Electronics:
-OEM wiring harness, trimmed and hidden
-Vintage fabric style tail light wiring

Controls:
-MZS hand controls
-Vans grips
-Relocated starter, headlight, and ignition switches to battery cover.
-XR650L handlebars, cut down 2" in width.
-Custom machined mirror plugs

Speedo/Odo:
-Trailtech endurance 2
-Handmade speedo mount

Body work:
-Frisco sportster tank
-Skateboard bushing spacers
-4 inch ribbed fender
-Hand made fender mounts
-Leather solo seat
-Lazer Emerald powdercoat (Competition Coatings in Glendale AZ)

Intake:
-Custom intake tube with breather hose
-UNI Pod filter

Jetting:
-118 Pilot
-40 Main
-Shimmed needle

Exhaust:
-Cut and wrapped
-Cherry bomb style mufflers

·
Registered
2004 Rebel 250
112 Posts
That's a sweet bike! Nice photography!
Where in AZ are you?

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
740 Posts
I don't know if you saw the discussions a few days ago. But, did you think about a kickstarter? Would definitely match the format of the rest of the bike. Check out page 3 of this thread.
Also, these are the bikes with kicks found to work.
CD185 or 200
CM185 or 200
CB125T 1980-81
CM200 or 250
There may be others.

Reactions: 96B4U

·
Registered
85 CMX 250C, 82 GW Remember that you are invisible, treat all others accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
740 Posts
Might also try,
Although, I don't like how deep he bored out for the oil seal.

·
Registered
2001 Honda cmx 250 c
2 Posts
This is a modified 1999 Honda Rebel CMX250. I bought this bike in October 2020, and by March 2021, it had become what you see here.
It was built to be simple and lightweight, with aesthetics inspired by "frisco chopper" and enduro style motorcycles. The bodywork and wheels lend the bike a narrow appearance, while the handlebars and trials tires give it an enduro vibe. The name Toshiko is a Japanese name loosely meaning "agile child", which I felt is a fitting name for this small nimble Honda. This is my first custom motorcycle, and was intended to be a serious "no corners cut" project.

This year it was shown at the first Front Row Moto Show in Phoenix AZ, and was also featured on Bikebound.com (Bantamweight Bobber: Honda Rebel 250 “Toshiko”).
The build is also available in a vlog series on my YouTube channel "FridaysTheBomb".

I wanted to share this motorcycle with a community that likes the Rebel. Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoy it.
-Joe

Specs:
Wheels and tires:
-Excel Takasago 21 front, 18 rear
-Shinko SR241
-Custom length spokes

Lights:
-Bates style headlight and tail light
-Neutral and kickstand light relocated to frame

Electronics:
-OEM wiring harness, trimmed and hidden
-Vintage fabric style tail light wiring

Controls:
-MZS hand controls
-Vans grips
-Relocated starter, headlight, and ignition switches to battery cover.
-XR650L handlebars, cut down 2" in width.
-Custom machined mirror plugs

Speedo/Odo:
-Trailtech endurance 2
-Handmade speedo mount

Body work:
-Frisco sportster tank
-Skateboard bushing spacers
-4 inch ribbed fender
-Hand made fender mounts
-Leather solo seat
-Lazer Emerald powdercoat (Competition Coatings in Glendale AZ)

Intake:
-Custom intake tube with breather hose
-UNI Pod filter

Jetting:
-118 Pilot
-40 Main
-Shimmed needle

Exhaust:
-Cut and wrapped
-Cherry bomb style mufflers

Very cool and clean looking. well done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know if you saw the discussions a few days ago. But, did you think about a kickstarter? Would definitely match the format of the rest of the bike. Check out page 3 of this thread.
Also, these are the bikes with kicks found to work.
CD185 or 200
CM185 or 200
CB125T 1980-81
CM200 or 250
There may be others.
People switch back to kick starts on builds like this to remove the switches and wiring from the handlebars. It creates that minimalist look that old motorcycles had.
But those had it naturally, because they just didn't have electric starters.

The wiring on my build was specifically modified to keep the electric start. The switch was relocated to the battery cover, which accomplished the same goal on the handlebar aesthetics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts