Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some engine work on a Studebaker V8 all the usual, rings valves etc. The engine started and ran fine and quiet however after15 min of running shut off and restart it was seized up, cool for an additional 30 min and restart ok. Pulled the engine disassembled and delivered it to a competent machine shop (in business 70 years) and they misdiagnosed the problem (thinking inside the box). The machinist was an older fellow and said with out a doubt the connecting rods are out of round and need to be sized after they heat up they will seize. The resizing procedure was done. The engine was disassembled by the shop and all the parts were exposed and all the babbitt was warn off the shells with only 12 hours of running. It was pre understood that I would do the reassembly. As a routine the journeyman had his apprentice run a probe through the oil galleys in the crankshaft and there was an immediate problem, the probe would not go through because the galleys were plugged solid with debris. After $1200 worth of work that was the problem and the only problem the resizing procedure was not necessary at all. Even before the procedures the oil pressure was good at 40psi but there was no volume. The engine is perfect now.

Secondly, I was just re-gasketing a 4 litre Ford engine as it was weeping oil at a wholesale rate engine pulled, cleaned and painted with new gaskets reassembled and reinstalled only to find a serious leak around the oil pan. The engine was pulled and disassembled a second time with nothing obvious showing. The oil pan is constructed of cast aluminum with no signs of any damage, to look at it it was perfect. I applied a straight edge to the pan and one side had about a .006 hump in the middle that took about 50 strokes with a file to level it. The engine had a heavy covering of oil and dirt and at some time it was in to a shop for repairs for the oil leak and it was determined that it was the front seal, the front seal was replaced by the shop and it was installed crooked ie wasn't seated and that caused an additional leak at the front. The original owner gave up on the truck and we purchased it at minimal cost. After the second re and re it runs fine with no oil leaks. The hump in the oil pan was determined unusual.

And thirdly, now the Honda Rebel I have a post of all the issues burning oil in the left cylinder. The engine was disassembled with new internal parts and reassembled only to have to disassemble it a second time with only 200 - 300 miles on it. In all three cases the engines had to be disassembled and reassembled twice to resolve unusual problems. All of the issues were outside of the box of normal even when diagnosed by professionals.

·
Super Moderator
3,768 Posts
sounds like a run of bad luck followed closely by good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts