Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
National Cycle's Streetshield EX. Corbin Saddle. Tourmaster Saddlebags.
Discussion Starter #1
Talk about fun................this has been a journey.

I had the dreaded left side oil seal leak. Finally gathered all the parts to do the job. Pulled the flywheel and replaced the seal today. But when I pulled the flywheel, I noticed three unaccounted for short pieces of round rod on the garage floor at my feet. Turns out they are the rollers for the starter clutch. Finally figured out how to get them back in their proper places. But when I tried to put the flywheel back on the shaft, it wouldn't seat all the way. I tried the bolt that holds the flywheel in place, but it just pulled the flywheel up to an abrupt STOP but I'm not sure that's where it should really stop! I'm worried the rollers aren't pulling back into their pockets out of the way of the shaft. Am I right, and if so how do I get them to retract so I can mount the flywheel? Wrenching on this "scooter" is all new to me, so I'm flying blind here. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Now I DO feel like an idiot! 馃お Guess no-one else has ever had this problem.

Registered
2001 CMX250, 1984 CB650SC
Have a little patience, the gurus will be able to help. I haven't had to tackle this issue yet, but I doubt there's much they haven't seen.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
No problem. Wasn't meaning to imply impatience. Was sincere when I suggested I might be an idiot. I've just not done much wrenching on anything engine related in my lifetime and this problem makes no sense to me.

Super Moderator
I would say you are inexperienced, not an idiot. An idiot would have "made things fit" and broken something (been there, done that). As MM77 said, someone familiar with your problem will eventually see your post and respond.

Reactions: MaconMan77

Registered
2005 Honda CMX250C
Can you post a picture of the back of your flywheel, showing the rollers? If they fell out, it's possible the springs and guide rods might have fallen out, too. Also, ensure you put your starter sprocket on correctly - its seal should be visible. I'm definitely not a guru, but recently did this job (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. The rollers are in their proper places. The springs and caps didn't fall out of the unit, so all I had to do was to put the rollers back in. I can see the seal. I "think" my problem is how to get the rollers to push back into the unit so they can go over the shaft.

If I didn't put the starter sprocket on properly, it wouldn't line up between the guides, would it?

Registered
2001 CMX250, 1984 CB650SC
Get a good repair manual and post some pictures. A lot of pictures aren't included with a lot of older posts here.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm using the 1996-2007 Honda Service Manual. Anyway, it's all behind me now. What drakoala said about the seal made me take a second look............and sure enough I only "thought" I could see it. (by the way, drakoala, I was wrong in assuming the sprocket would only fit the guides if I put in on correctly! DUH!) 馃おTook it off and turned it around and "low and behold", there was the seal! :eek: When I turned it around and tried to put the flywheel on all it took was a little wiggling and it went right on. Put the bolt in it finger tight and I'll torque it to the proper foot lbs. It's a really embarrassing being so inexperienced. As soon as I get this thing buttoned up, I'm going to change the oil and get the rubber side of this bike back out on the road. Weather has been perfect for errand running and I've been driving my gas guzzler Honda Ridgeline. What a waste of good weather.

Thanks for all the help guys. I just hope some day I can do some of this wrenching without having to ask so many newbie questions. 馃槈

Super Moderator
Every mechanic began with zero knowledge, and they didn't learn everything overnight.

Reactions: ajax

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Aw Heck and Durnit, flitecontrol.............ya mean I won't get my master mechanic's name badge in the morning? 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it would have taken a whole lot longer if you'd not dropped that little tidbit about the seal on the sprocket. Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Frankly, I thought I was through asking newbie questions concerning this project! But no......................!

I'm trying to tighten the flywheel bolt to 59 ft/lbs. That's what it says in the service manual, but I read here on the forum it's 43 ft/lbs. Which is correct? I can't seem to hold the flywheel tight enough to get the bolt that tight. I'm using the same adjustable rubber strap clamp I used on the flywheel to remove the bolt. It was hard to remove, but not as hard as it is to tighten. So am I trying to tighten it to too high a ft/lbs level?

Oh, and I've also read here that the flywheel won't turn if the rear brake is locked. Even with the rear brake locked, the flywheel turns freely! Have I put something back together incorrectly?

Super Moderator
Both are kinda right. It's 59 Nm (Newton meters) or 43 lbf-ft (foot pounds).
Is the bike in gear?

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for getting back with me so quick, flitecontrol. I didn't catch the Nm vs lbf-ft . Yet another newbie/inexperienced error! No, it was in neutral. I read it was "no-no" to have it in gear when torquing the bolt. Anyway, I torqued it to 43 foot pounds using the strap clamp and buttoned everything up to spec. I'm changing the oil right now. Warmed the engine up and drained it. Just waiting for the last drop to drop! 馃榿I'm going to be extremely careful to not fill it over 3/4 of the way up on the hash marks. Will take it for a ride when I get the oil changed to see if the leak has been corrected. I've read where some have said they changed the seal, but their bike still leaked oil. That would be my luck, for sure. My "apprenticeship" continues. 馃ぃ

Super Moderator
It is a no-no. Torqueing the crankshaft with it in gear can damage the transmission, and possibly other things. Don't ask me how I know this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts