Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear fellow Rebels,

Recently I acquired my motorcycle license. Ever since I started getting lessons I bought a 1987 Honda Rebel which has since been stalled in my parents garage. When my friend drove it back for me around 7 or 8 months ago we already noticed a minor oil leak, but I stalled the bike in my parents garage and haven't looked at it since. Since getting my license, I was obviously stoked to ride the bike so I figured I'd take a look at it.

The lady whom I bought it from vaguely mentioned something about her possibly putting in too much oil. We drove it back anyways without draining it, with the little understanding of engines and bikes that we had. Anyways, I check the oil in the engine a week ago and it was completely overfilled. I hoped that the pressure on the engine hadn't done too much damage so I drained the engine and put in fresh oil. Besides that I replaced the battery. She started and off I went. Sadly, though, the oil is still leaking and it's quite a serious leak. It's not thát bad, but I do want to fix it (obviously).

First: a disclaimer. I have no knowledge on engines or motorcycles in general. I'd consider myself fairly technical in the practical sense, but I have no education in anything technical nor do I have any experience with working on engines, despite being very interested in it. I just didn't grow up in a technical environment, despite having interested in it. I figured my Rebel is a good way to start.

Upon learning that too much oil can cause too much pressure inside the engine and blow out the gasket seals, I figured this would be the problem of my Rebel too. I now want to fix it. With the outlook that I won't be in work the coming weeks due to our beloved friend the coronavirus, I figured I'd use my time to do some research and try and fix the bike.

However, after looking all over YouTube and making my way through the Honda Rebel Manual, I have some questions that I need answered in order to get ready to fix my bike. I was hoping some of you could help me out here. I know it may seem lazy but I've done quite some research, also in the manual, but it's kind of Sumerian to me, considering I have zero experience with these things. I'm sorry guys.

I was wondering what the sizes are of the following items that I need to fix the bike:

- What size flywheel puller should I get to get the flywheel off?
- I was wondering what the sizes are of the oilseals that I assume need replacement are:
There's one that goes around the started gear and another larger one that seals the actual engine, behind the flywheel
- Is there any other lubricant, like besides WD-40 that you guys suppose I should get? What are handy lubricants and tools in general that I should get to work comfortably on my bike.
- Are there any other things that I should look at while I have the flywheel off, etc.?

- Is there any way to get the stuff that I named above from a European dealer? I've been looking around on the internet but it seems kind of hard to get the right size flywheel puller somewhere in Europe. It seems as though I'll have to pay a lot of shipping to get these parts from seperate dealer. Maybe there's someone on here that knows of a European importer or whatever? I'm located in The Netherlands.

It'd be absolutely lovely if someone could help me out with these questions. Maybe there's someone who has experience with fixing this leak that could give me some advice. As I said, I have studied some video's on YouTube but not all of them are clear enough for a newbie like me. Cheers in advance!

Regards,

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
Welcome. Is your model a CMX250 or CMX450? Have you looked here yet? https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f37/left-crank-case-oil-leak-20409.html

The flywheel puller bolt is 16mm X 1.5 thread pitch. Insert the bolt, tighten it, and hit the bolt head with a hammer. Repeat tightening the bolt and hitting it until the flywheel pops off. No need for WD-40

You can get replacement seals from any store that carries them. Just take the old seal with you, or give them the size/dimensions, which are 35X52X7 for the 250. They will be much more expensive if purchased through a Honda dealer. Here's a link to the 87 CMX250 parts diagrams: https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/l/hon/5053e0cff870021c54be0df5/1987-cmx250c-a-parts

A set of metric sockets, a hand impact screwdriver, and a torque wrench in the appropriate range (I have three different sizes) will come in handy when working on the Rebel and cover almost any repairs you will do on the bike. The screws have Japanese JIS heads. You can get a set, but I just use standard Phillips head screwdrivers and haven't had any problems. Non-permanent thread locker (blue in the U.S) helps keep parts from vibrating loose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome. Is your model a CMX250 or CMX450? Have you looked here yet? https://www.hondarebelforum.com/f37/left-crank-case-oil-leak-20409.html

The flywheel puller bolt is 16mm X 1.5 thread pitch. Insert the bolt, tighten it, and hit the bolt head with a hammer. Repeat tightening the bolt and hitting it until the flywheel pops off. No need for WD-40

You can get replacement seals from any store that carries them. Just take the old seal with you, or give them the size/dimensions, which are 35X52X7 for the 250. They will be much more expensive if purchased through a Honda dealer. Here's a link to the 87 CMX250 parts diagrams: https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/l/hon/5053e0cff870021c54be0df5/1987-cmx250c-a-parts

A set of metric sockets, a hand impact screwdriver, and a torque wrench in the appropriate range (I have three different sizes) will come in handy when working on the Rebel and cover almost any repairs you will do on the bike. The screws have Japanese JIS heads. You can get a set, but I just use standard Phillips head screwdrivers and haven't had any problems. Non-permanent thread locker (blue in the U.S) helps keep parts from vibrating loose.
Wow, thank you for that quick and summarized reply. My Rebel is a 450, 1987. Sorry for not specifying that, I'll edit my post. Anyhow, thanks for sharing the dimensions with me. I'll try and get my hands on the parts. And thanks for giving me that list of tools that I can use. I think my dad has most of them already, I'll see what he has and buy the rest. Do the dimensions apply to the 450 as well? Sorry for coming off as brainless, I just have zero experience. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
The 450 oil seal is a different size than the 250. See part number 16 here for the 450 dimensions: https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/hon/506c8ee5f870023420a3d9d1/crankshaft

Not sure if the 450 flywheel puller bolt is the same size as the 250, but it may be. If no one else clarifies that, you should be able to find a bolt that fits through experimentation.

See the link in my signature below on how to put your bike info in your signature so it shows up on every post. Sending you a PM.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good luck getting your 450 ready.
I sure would like to find a good looking 450 here-abouts for sale.

Oh and if you can think of it (I always seem to forget until I'm well into it or almost done) post us some pics of your project steps.

Welcome to the forum, there's a great bunch of Rebels here.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
KaliYuga, if you weren't aware, the starter clutch on the 450's is prone to failure. jax has restored a number of them and is very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where can I get the parts for this starter clutch repair you speak of? My Rebel 450 is running perfectly and only 4800 original miles, but someday I'll
need to repair that area and by then the parts may be nonexistent. ;-(

·
Super Moderator
29,136 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts