Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a project 1992 nighthawk 250, which should have the same engine as some rebels. Man this bike was a basket case, but now I’m at what I believe to be the final issue. I had some irregular spark timing issues and upon inspection I saw that some of the contact on the pickup coil had clearly impacted the flywheel at some point. When cranking it would get .3 v ac out of the pickup coil sometimes, and other times .7 v. I bought a new pickup coil, installed it and cranked it and now I’m getting .1 v ac and no spark at all.

My question is, could this be an issue with the pickup protrusion on the outside of the flywheel being demagnetized? It was clearly scraped across an improperly installed pickup coil at some point. I tried touching a piece of steel to the protrusion and it didn’t stick, but it did stick to the inside of the flywheel...

I honestly don’t know if the flywheel is the issue, but I’ve read every post I could find related to this and just need some help.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,799 Posts
Welcome to forum

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
Welcome to the forum. One of our members with electric expertise will probably weigh in soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Biiiiig update on this situation. So I recently build myself a peak voltage adapter out of two resistors, a diode and a cap. and have been further investigating this issue. I can now confidently say IT WAS NOT THE FLYWHEEL. I realize now that it was a little dumb of me to try to test the ignition system without a peak voltage adapter but hey, I'm learning. So, the update:

With PVA,
Exciter coil (from stock stator) puts out 98.8 v ac

Pickup coil (new aftermarket unit) puts out 10 v ac

I've tested every other component that could stop the spark and everything checks out. But I still get intermittent spark. I get bursts of strong spark sometimes, and none the rest of the time. Do I have to buy a new CDI/ICM at this point? Idk to me that pickup coil voltage seems waaaaayy to high.

anything helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts