Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Rebel 250
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’m getting the symptoms of a slipping clutch (no power at the end of each gear). So it makes the noise but doesn’t produce the power.
Seems like a slipped clutch, right? But the bike was working just fine before I cleaned the carb. Is there anything I could have done wrong during the cleanup that would cause acceleration issues at the “end” of each gear?
*end = when I’m pulling the throttle past 50%
Idles fine, goes through gears fine(when I change slightly earlier) even accelerates fine in the first part of the gear change.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,618 Posts
You mean after that the engine speed increases but the bike does not? If so then yes it sounds like the clutch is slipping. It's possible that now the engine is putting out more power than it did before you fixed ithe carburetor, and it didn't have enough power before to slip.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Rebel 250
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean after that the engine speed increases but the bike does not? If so then yes it sounds like the clutch is slipping. It's possible that now the engine is putting out more power than it did before you fixed ithe carburetor, and it didn't have enough power before to slip.
Just took it out again to see if I could diagnose and I think it’s actually the choke.
When I have the choke on full, there’s no issues, when I have the choke off, it cuts out at red lights and doesn’t give me any power after half-throttle. It’s like there’s a rev-limiter on there. Will take the choke cable out tomorrow when I’ve got light and put it back in again. Maybe I tightened it wrong.

thanks for your reply though, I think I described it incorrectly in my original post. It felt like the engine speed was increasing but I think I was just a bit confused by it all.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,618 Posts
Unfortunately, the carburetor often1 doesn't get completely cleaned on the 1st try.
At times we all err by putting 1 small part in upside-down.
I really don't think that the problem is in the enricher/choke circuit, but I'm not as skilled as many others when working on carbs.

·
Super Moderator
32,775 Posts
If the needle jet is installed backwards, it can cause issues like yours. See this thread to check for proper installation: Carb Issue Running (barley) very rich | Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum (hondarebelforum.com)

If the jet is installed correctly, I would think the carb isn't completely clean. Soaking only the metal (no rubber or plastic) parts in Berryman Chem Dip for a week should ensure everything is clean. Turn parts periodically to be sure all the bubbles come out.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
I can never remember the needle jet. I knew there was something could be installed backwards I just couldn't remember which jet.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Rebel 250
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't even know what it was called until someone pointed it out.
I still can’t find the needle jet?
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Machine Audio equipment

Wood Kitchen utensil Sleeve Material property Tool

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Office equipment Bumper

I took out the main jet, and the needle jet holder but I didn’t seem to have the last bit from that other thread you posted. The actual needle jet? Unless it’s just in the body of the carb?
Fluid Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Rim

that’s it there, right?

·
Super Moderator
32,775 Posts
I feel like it’s clean?
You can't tell if a carb is clean just by looking at it. Yes, what you can see may be clean, but what you can't see also has to be spotless for the carb to perform properly. There are several internal passages that cannot be seen.

Reactions: Badgerbadg3r

·
Registered
2008 Honda Rebel 250
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can't tell if a carb is clean just by looking at it. Yes, what you can see may be clean, but what you can't see also has to be spotless for the carb to perform properly. There are several internal passages that cannot be seen.
I’m fairly confident it’s clean. I left everything in the solution for two weeks as suggested here. I think you were right and I’m either missing the needle jet or I’ve put it in the wrong way round. I took it apart again today as you can see by the pics but I didn’t know exactly what I was looking for so now I’ve researched a bit better will try again later this week. Appreciate your responses so far.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,674 Posts
Ah man I should have seen this before
Looks like you have a California emission control carburetor that has been molested.
my circle points to where port once existed.. it's Ok if it's been plugged..

Automotive tire Audio equipment Gas Electrical wiring Auto part

Make sure that both yellow and red circled ports shown below are plugged by any convenient method handy.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Gas Machine

• Helpful
Reactions: Emil

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,674 Posts
Yup,, Plug this port too.. Ignore any hoses that attached to it.
with the bottom port snapped/sawed off the system wouldn't work anyway
Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Crankset Rim

·
Registered
2008 Honda Rebel 250
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup,, Plug this port too.. Ignore any hoses that attached to it.
with the bottom port snapped/sawed off the system wouldn't work anyway
View attachment 115485
Ah that’s interesting! Great shout. I wonder if the cleaning solution disintegrated any substance that was previously over that hole.
I thought it was a bit janky but knew I hadn’t done it so figured that’s how it was before the cleaning.
Will try this this week. Thanks for giving it a second thought.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Good eye SoakedKarma.
Now we've learned to look for that too. 😊 Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Rebel 250
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Took the carb apart again. Still can’t see a needle jet, maybe mine never came out when I cleaned and it’s still in there? Nevertheless I plugged all the holes that @SoakedKarma recommended and that seems to have fixed the issue. Very very grateful.
Runs really nicely now.
Will likely clean the carb on my other Rebel soon too.
Insect Finger Thumb Gesture Nail

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts