Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m from New York I got my hands on a 2006 Honda Rebel 250 for $700 last year that had been sitting for 2 years due to the previous owner not maintaining it. I haven’t been able to hands on it cause I was working and in school. Now that I’m on summer break and the pandemic took my job I have all the time in the world. I’ve been working on it since the last week of May. I have auto/Helicopter mechanic background but have only ever changed the oil on a motorcycle. I’ve watched some videos and bought the maintenance manual to see where I should start and spoke to my local dealership mechanic. I soldered some chewed up cables that were coming from the small fuse box next to the battery. Replaced the battery for a new one. All lights are working fine it would crank but not turn over to start. I have removed the carburetor and took it apart. Followed by using the chem dip on all the pieces that had massive varnish(no rubber pieces). I put it back together and installed it back in with all the hoses going to the right place. Followed by draining the gas and putting in new gas. I broke the in-line filter that was installed and at the moment have ordered a new one online and temporarily placed a 1/4” hose from the Petcock to the carburetor. Then changing the oil. Tried to start it again and nothing. I checked the spark plugs which were dirty and old. I did a compression check with my thumb, and spark tests. I bought new spark plugs and tried to start it again, still nothing. I’m running out of options here and was Hoping this forum will help me out. My next step is to buy starter fluid and try that on the carb. I’m just waiting for it to arrive. Any other suggestions are welcomed, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
29,134 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Trying to clean a Rebel carb by just immersing the visibly dirty parts isn't sufficient. There are several small orifices and internal passages that have to be spotless for the carb to function properly. Extended soaking of all the metal parts is the only way to get everything completely clean. If there are any contaminants in the tank or fuel, they can get to the carb if there is no inline filter in place.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just a question. Are you giving it some choke/enrichment? I'm in Ithaca, NY, and even on these last few mornings it hasn't been that warm and I've had to give some choke/enrichment (1/4 to 1/2) until she warms up. You may have already exhausted this option. If so please disregard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey flite, thanks for the response. I bought the Rebel rebuild kit that was linked and The rubber gasket didn’t come with the corner circle. gotta buy from another buyer. While examining the diaphragm the needle came unattached and now it won’t stay. Is there a piece that holds them together? There are also a few pieces that I am unsure as to where they belong. I’ll be ordering the in-line filter this coming week.
On another note i noticed the Return throttle cable isn’t connected to the throttle end. Excuse my lack of nomenclature still learning the terms.

Hi Nardo thanks for the response I’llkeep that in mind next time I can start it up and have everything installed.

·
Super Moderator
29,134 Posts
Can you provide a link to the kit you bought? If it was for a CMX250, it may have come with the circle unattached (1985-87, first generation) but it should work for the 2nd generation Rebels too. Just put the circle in the corresponding slot in the carb. See the diagram in this link for how the needle is assembled into the diaphragm. First the needle, then the small spring, then the plastic retaining nut. There are slots and indents on the nut. Push the nut against the top of the needle and give it a 1/4 turn clockwise to lock it in place. 1985 Honda CMX250C A CARBURETOR | Cheap Cycle Parts

If part number 2 (there are two) near part 22 came out, it goes into the main jet receptacle with the concave end first (towards the diaphragm).

·
Super Moderator
7,796 Posts
Welcome to forum n enjoy your ride

1 - 6 of 6 Posts