Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rebel 250
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

2013 CMX250 here, first time posting on this forum, I've been reading & following since I got the bike in 2019.

Now I have a problem of my own: I was warming up the bike, realized the fork lock was on, turned off the bike to unlock it, when I go to turn the bike back on zero power. No lights, no clicking, nothing. Completely dead.

Things I tried or thought about:
  • Kick stand is up
  • I don't think it's the battery because I just replaced that in September and it was on a tender all winter, plus I've been riding it at least once a week since mid-March, no issues.
  • I checked the main fuse, not blown, replaced it with the spare anyways - the lights came on for a second when I went to start it, heard a click, then it died immediately.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Jules

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,883 Posts
Check/clean both ends of + & - battery cables

·
Registered
2013 Rebel 250
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Super Moderator
30,132 Posts
Cleaning is the same for all corroded battery posts.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,883 Posts
doubt you will have any corrosive buildup needing baking soda treatment..
use of wire brush should be sufficient..

gut says it's the positive cable connection at starter relay..
don't go messing around with battery connected or sparky might visit..

couple of times over the years forum members have had negative cable frame connection be a problem..

·
Super Moderator
30,132 Posts
I should have mentioned that I've never had a corroded terminal on any bike battery. Not sure if that means I've been lucky or that's the norm for motorcycles.

·
Registered
2013 Rebel 250
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
doubt you will have any corrosive buildup needing baking soda treatment..
use of wire brush should be sufficient..

gut says it's the positive cable connection at starter relay..
don't go messing around with battery connected or sparky might visit..

couple of times over the years forum members have had negative cable frame connection be a problem..
When you say "positive cable connection at starter relay", are you talking about the high current circuit? And is the issue that the positive cable needs to be tightened, cleaned, or something else? I've never dissembled the starter relay before so if you know of a YouTube video that shows how that would be helpful!

Also, to prevent "sparky from visiting" is it sufficient to how the power off and to disconnect the negative and positive terminals of the battery or something else?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
1,883 Posts
disconnecting battery neg when working on any electrical circuit prevents sparks between tools and energized circuit you may be working on..
Allen head bolt high current circuit marked B comes from battery positive supplies current to main 20A fuse.. if that connection is poor you wouldn't have lights when ignition switched on..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts