Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner

striped choke nut

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SoakedKarma 
#1 ·
Will a striped choke nut cause a vacuum leak in the carburetor? I have to keep the choke on 1/3 or the engine will bog/cut out at low rpms. but once past the 1 to 10% throttle it comes out of it and runs great. Carb has been gone through several times. Chem dipped. all ports cleaned with compressed air. New A/F screw (set to 2 and 3/4 turns out per the manual) New slow jet and main jet. New accelerator diaphram (verified accelerator pump circuit works as it should) Verified needle jet diaphragm works properly too. Got a can of starter fluid and sprayed the carburetor at all connection points to see if I had a vacuum leak but rpms did not change. Verified crankcase ventilation is working as it should as well. This is 96 cmx250 with roughly 8500 miles on it. Any help would be great!

#4 ·
I'm not sure how the stripped nut may affect the carb's performance. I would definitely replace it because at some point you will probably need to use the enricher. Member 01-7700 makes replacement nuts and has sold them on ebay in the past. If you don't find them there, contact him. Depending on how badly gummed up the carb was, it may or may not be clean after two days. I generally recommend a one week soak in Chem Dip to ensure it doesn't have to be repeatedly installed, removed, dipped, etc. I recently bought another '09 Rebel that had gas sitting in it for a very long time. It took three passes through my ultrasonic cleaner to get it completely clean, and other carbs I've cleaned only took one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.