Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
29,308 Posts
And I hope they catch the thief.

·
Registered
659 Posts
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial][SIZE=-1]My beloved CA125 Rebel was stolen early hours of 16th Oct 2014
Red. Custom chrome grips. Chrome round wing mirrors. Dent on shoulder of fuel tank (right hand side). Reg is S132KWN. Stolen from Fforestfach, Swansea area.
Wow. Sucks. Hope they find it in one piece.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news story: I got it back in fairly good condition AND the scumbag is now in jail :)

Insurance wrote it off (as I knew they would..) but after a bit of wrangling I convinced them to let me buy it back off of them as scrap and get a tidy settlement in cash too, so am now in the process of fixing her up again. Woop!

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
How does that work in the UK? Do you end up with a salvage title? or can it be written off as just an uneconomic repair without any prejudice to the licensing of the bike?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think there's some sort of marker on it to say it was uneconomical to repair, but insurer said once I've done repairs and put it through an MOT (basically: a vehicle inspection to make sure the bike is roadworthy and safe) then they'd take any markers off it and it'd be as if nothing ever happened :)

·
Super Moderator
7,811 Posts
In Australia is similar I bought my 250 back from insurance co after my accident .Repaired and rebuilt it better than new and re regestered it with no problems or markers on it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think it is mostly an insurance thing here in the US....
My shop was going to have me get state certified to perform the required brake/lighting inspections for salvaged vehicles to be re-licensed. Met a guy at a Napa training class that does these inspections at his shop. WOW what a pain in the A$$ most of these are. Mainly because the basket cases that come in and how meticulous the inspection is. Luckily my shop supervisor was there also and he heard it also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ursvamp. A result then. You got it back.

UK Insurance Category's (Best to my knowledge, and post date)
Cat. A. NOT to be put back on road, and NO parts to be salvaged.
Cat. B. NOT to be put back on road, and SOME parts can be salvaged.
Cat. C. Cost of repair exceeds value. New V5 / Log Book Free.
Cat. D. Cost of repair is less than the value of vehicle, but deemed uneconomical to repair. New V5 / Log Book £25

1 - 12 of 12 Posts