Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1986 CMX450C Rebel
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently bought an 86 CMX450 with some sort of aftermarket exhaust. Pipes are one piece and both route to the right side of the bike. I think they are too loud. ebay hasn't turned up many stock mufflers in good condition. What alternatives are there to replace stock mufflers with something that basically sounds the same? I don't suppose you can put a 250 exhaust on a 450?

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Mufflers are different between the 450 and 250.

You can call Jacks Rebel Warehouse and see if he has any used ones in stock. He doesn't list used parts on the web site.

·
Registered
1986 CMX450C Rebel
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the tip! Do you think the '86 and '87 are interchangable? I noticed they have different part numbers. The '86 is 18300-MM2-671 while the '87 is 18300-MM2-771.

·
Super Moderator
29,645 Posts
AFAIK, they are interchangeable. Jack can tell you if they are. For some reason known only to Honda, they will change the part number on different model years even though it's the same part.

·
Super Moderator
29,645 Posts
Stock 450 exhausts are like hen's teeth, only more valuable. You could probably sell a 450 exhaust in good condition for what a new non-OEM exhaust would cost.

·
Registered
1986 CMX450C Rebel
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a set of stock pipes on my cmx450c and I would love a set of louder pipes
What do your stock pipes look like? I bought a set of stock pipes off eBay — a little ratty. If yours are nicer, then maybe we could trade? Here are the pics of what I'm taking off. No rust. Just too loud for my SO's ears. Compared to a '78 GL1000 or a VF1000 for that matter, they really are loud especially off the line.

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
IMHO the stock CMX450 pipes are quite loud

·
Registered
1986 CMX450C Rebel
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replaced the aftermarket pipes today with stock. What a difficulty. Bought a set of used pipes off a bike on eBay and got the hardware from cmsnl.com. Torqued everything correctly, so I hope everything is sealed. Boy do they sound better. The better half will be thrilled (it is her bike after all). Not just less loud, the tone nicer. Has more of a growl or snarl when you throttle up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts