Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
So I picked up my first rebel 250 last week. I was getting everything ready to be garaged for the winter when I ran into some red flags.
- first, the starter will usually get the bike running fast without much trouble, but some times if it doesn’t catch on the first turn over, it will make a sound like a screaming duck. I’m wondering if the motor should be pulled or if it’s more likely an issue with the chain slipping
-second, when I went to change the oil out (the old stuff was black as night) I was shocked when I found a solid cog tooth sitting in the dirty oil pan. It looks wide(maybe 1/2”) and short (1/8”). Not sure if it’s from the drive train or has something to do with my squealing starter? I am sure that the best thing to do is to crack the case on both sides and diagnose from there, BUT the bike was only $600 and my tool arsenal and mechanical skills are still limited.
Does anyone have thoughts or tips on a path to diagnoses/repair? It feels worth saying that the bike runs and shifts really well once started, (though I haven’t brought it beyond second gear since the front brakes are out.) any thoughts are appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
You'll need to replace the starter clutch to fix the starting issue. A pic of the cog tooth would help greatly.

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
that looks like a tooth off one of the drive train gears

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes.

That is what I was afraid of. Any body have a good shop manual they would recommend getting for an 85’?
Also I’ve never been into an engine clutch side before, any special tools I should have on hand? I have a metric socket set (up to 11mm), JIS screw bits, and a spanner nut on order.

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
PM your email address and i will share the manual

1 - 6 of 6 Posts