Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier today I was in the left lane approaching an intersection. Right lane was right turn only and it had several cages in it. Guy at intersection decides to make a right on red but doesn't see me due to the cages and the fact he didn't stop once he got a clear view past the cages. Fortunately, I saw him in time and was able to swerve. I could tell from the look on his face he didn't expect me to be there. Folks really aren't looking for motorcyclists, and riders need to anticipate that.

Just came across this article. In addition to inattentive drivers (get off the damn phone!), if you ride long enough, you will probably cross paths with an impaired driver. If you've taken the MSF course, you know to always be aware of your surroundings and have an escape route planned ahead of time. Not sure what the rider's options were, but a head on with a cage isn't a good one.

DUI suspect had child in car at time of head-on crash with motorcycle (msn.com)

The video below the article shows a drunk hitting a rider from the rear. Ideally, the rider would have seen the crash coming and moved into the empty right lane to avoid contact.

Reactions: Work_in_Progress

·
Registered
National Cycle's Streetshield EX. Corbin Saddle. Tourmaster Saddlebags.
797 Posts
My brother was sitting at a stop light on his trike when a drunk woman rear-ended him and totaled the trike. He was okay, but his puppy who is always with him on the bike was hurt slightly.........but recovered just fine. But you've literally only a split second to realize someone coming up behind you isn't slowing down. Sometimes that split second isn't enough time to make the decision as to whether or not you can safely enter actively crossing traffic to avoid the rear-end contact. And if you are sandwiched in with a vehicle in front and both sides, an emergency exit might not be available. It's my opinion sometimes you just have to depend on your guardian angel to take care of you.

·
Super Moderator
31,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've survived some hairy situations by skill and some just plain luck. That said, the MSF basic course teaches when stopped at an intersection, have the left foot down, bike in first gear, clutch lever pulled, right hand on throttle, right foot on rear brake, bike pointing in pre-selected escape direction, and checking mirrors for traffic approaching from rear. Hopefully, this gives the rider the ability to avoid becoming a bumper sandwich in most situations. I can't count the number of riders I've seen that pull within a few feet of the stopped vehicle in front of them, put the bike in neutral, have the bike pointing directly at the vehicle in front, plunk both feet down and never check their mirrors. I attribute it to a lack of knowledge as most riders in Louisiana don't take the MSF course.

Reactions: 4Getgto

·
Registered
National Cycle's Streetshield EX. Corbin Saddle. Tourmaster Saddlebags.
797 Posts
That's how I was taught......and how I do it, but sometimes there's not much of a slot to point my bike at. Durned cages are so close together there's no way I could squeeze my little bike in there if someone was barreling down on me. I try and stop at least a car's-length back, so that gives me a bit of skootch room to ease up. One thing I do is repeatedly release and press my pulsing brake light so there's a lot of red-light activity going on in front of the on-coming cage driver.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,875 Posts
I also pulse my brakes, but have installed rear amber & red strobe flashers (front amber only), that I activate with the flick of my right thumb if they continue barreling. THEN if I note no improvement in their actions, I'm ready to move with flashers still on. This not only tries to get their attention but also (hopefully), notifies those around me of a dire situation.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
2,875 Posts
When I'm in a cage, I don't tend to watch the mirrors the same as I do on my bikes. That's when I got my neck broke by a hit skip driver. Cervicogenic Pruritus is NOT fun & a lifelong condition.
Had I been on the Rebel, I'd have been paying much more attention to the mirrors, or I (& presumably my wife), would've most likely been killed.
WATCH THE MIRRORS! Even in a cage. But especially on these smaller, (SMIDSY) vehicles.

Reactions: Work_in_Progress

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why i wait in neutral at a light. I watch behind me and tap/release brake to try to get an approaching driver's attention. I look and leave space for an escape lane---sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't, sometimes you move into harm's way. I've had several clutch cables snap over the years. If that happens there's some chance you find yourself in trouble as the bike jerks forward (or some other direction) unexpectedly. Long light and your clutch hand cramps? Hope your bike shifts into neutral---oh, was your left foot on the ground?---or remember the kill switch.

Cheerios,

--garicao

"We're lost, but we're making good time."

·
Super Moderator
31,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See post 3 above for the "ready position" description. Waiting in neutral is easier on the clutch hand, but takes time to get the bike in gear, and time is of the essence once a rider realizes they need to execute their escape plan. My clutch hand has never cramped when stopped at an intersection, but that may be because it is used to holding the clutch in whenever stopped.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello Everyone Been a while since I Posted but had to Jump in this and TOTALLY Agree
DRIVE SAFE
I was Hit by a Car Thursday evening. I was in the right lane going about 25 mph when the car beside me with the Driver on the Phone made a Right turn from the Left lane and Clipped my Front tire and kept Going
Thankfully another Driver followed her and got her Plate and turned in to Police. I got home from the Hospital yesterday Several Bumps and Bruises a Bad case of Road Rash and Nursing a Dislocated Right Knee and a Broken Right Ankle that has to be Surgically Repaired and YES she had the same LAME Excuse
She DIDN"T See me
EVERYONE Please BE CAREFUL

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Hope you heal quickly! Be thankful for the kindness of that other driver. Hopefully they give her the justice that she (the driver that clipped you) deserves & has to pay for all damages to you & your Rebel.
I've been run off the road on a few occasions, always watch for an out! A very loud horn can be a tremendous benefit.

Reactions: HalfbreedCharlie

·
Super Moderator
31,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry you got hurt. Hope the surgery and recovery go well. Might want to consult an injury attorney.

Another reason for everyone to stay off their phone when operating a vehicle. They may think they can drive/ride when distracted, but taint true.

Reactions: HalfbreedCharlie

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry you got hurt. Hope the surgery and recovery go well. Might want to consult an injury attorney.

Another reason for everyone to stay off their phone when operating a vehicle. They may think they can drive/ride when distracted, but taint true.
Thanks and Yes I have hired an Attorney because the Medical Bills are Piling up $5,000 just for the Ambulance Ride

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hope you heal quickly! Be thankful for the kindness of that other driver. Hopefully they give her the justice that she (the driver that clipped you) deserves & has to pay for all damages to you & your Rebel.
I've been run off the road on a few occasions, always watch for an out! A very loud horn can be a tremendous benefit.
You can BET I Truly Am because he also came back to see how I was doing before the Ambulance left
Truly a Great Person

1 - 15 of 15 Posts