Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 85 rebel she has been sitting a few months I would start her everyother day. Here recently i started riding her again and the first time the battery was dim as hell when i turned the key on tried to start it and it just clicked and the starter spun but wasnt engaging!! We ended up bump starting it ugh!!!! Could it be my starter clutch or my battery from it sitting awhile the fluids in the battery are good any help would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
7,822 Posts
Sounds like your battery is bad

·
Super Moderator
3,793 Posts
Just starting the bike every other day will run the battery down because the generator doesn't produce enough current to charge the battery when the motor is idling. You need to ride the bike to make-up the amps lost from starting. If the starter is spinning but not engaging the motor it would be a problem with the starter clutch. Fluid level in the battery is important but not an indicator of good battery health unless the fluid level is too low.

·
Super Moderator
29,460 Posts
^^^^ Trickle charging the battery at no more than 2 amps for 4-6 hours is probably the best way to try and revive the battery. In addition to depleting the battery, starting and idling every other day just isn't good for the engine. Most engine wear happens when first starting. The oil has drained to the crankcase and it takes a while for it to circulate throughout the engine, so things are running relatively "dry". If you need a new battery, get a Yuasa. They cost a dollar or two more than the cheap ones, but last for many years if properly maintained.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you guys but my battery is good....i was told the springs inside the starter clutch are sticking???? Because she starts up no problem after i ride the bike to the store roughly 10 miles or so of course i shut it off get what i need from the store and i go to start the bike my starter spins but doesnt engage so here i go putting the bike into gear and pretty much push start it myself its getting pretty annoying....ughhh

·
Super Moderator
3,793 Posts
So you will need to have the starter clutch repaired. It's about $30 in parts.

·
Super Moderator
3,793 Posts
sure thing.

here is the 'sploded view

you need 3 each of parts #7,8, and 26

#7 SPRING, STARTING CLUTCH ROLLER 28125-253-020 $4.19
#8 CAP, STARTING CLUTCH ROLLER SPRING 28126-253-030 $3.60
#26 ROLLER (10.2X9.5) 91101-253-020 $2.96

cross referencing the part numbers shows that those same parts are still being used in later model Rebels

1 - 8 of 8 Posts