Honda Rebel 250 & 450 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,412 Posts
This will probably help, this is a thread which has a "how to" on the switch cleaning and Repair.
I hope this will help you get it working.

·
Super Moderator
32,552 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
This will probably help, this is a thread which has a "how to" on the switch cleaning and Repair.
I hope this will help you get it working.
:cool:

going to try this today..

thank you very much.

potentially saving me alot of money and the motorcycle mechanics around here are tough to schedule with, even if you are willing to pay.

luckily I have multiple switches so I can rebuild the switch from the 01 with that one still installed.
I have the 86 on there, a 85 and 01 on hand..

which, after looking up the price of these switches, I am amazed (about $55-$60 used on eBay) :oops:

also going to test the DC voltage at red/yellow solenoid contact while hitting button.
I'm guessing it might be a good idea to test the contact point inside switch to see if I get 12v while pressing button as well.

·
Premium Member
1985, 86 CMX250C, 81 CM200T, 74 CL360, Invisible to cages, treat them accordingly. Avoids Road RAGE!
3,412 Posts
Now let's hope all that effort yielded good results.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Now let's hope all that effort yielded good results.
unfortunately no luck.. so now I am trying to replace the harness from rear to front.. 1986 to 2001 everything has matched until the junction box up front (aka spaghetti hell) besides the battery box and the solenoid, which absolutely do not fit.

I know that the dark blue and white match up to the headlight wires.. but my confusion is: I got a red/black wire, then a six pin plug.. both coming from harness with no apparent destination.. everything else is already plugged in.

the relevant wires are all in pic 2 and pic 3 is the backside of the black 6 pin connector coming from harness that is in pic 2.. here are the other 3 wires going into that plug:

Hand Hood Finger Automotive tire Electrical wiring

the blue, three pin plug is the kickstand position sensor, which I need to know the easiest way to bypass the safety feature, or whether or not the kickstand will fot on the 86 frame with the position sensor. the frames almost looked different there? couldnt tell.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hood Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Electronic component Electronic engineering

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Finger Electrical wiring

there is also that light brown and white stripe wire.. coming from odometer. what is that? and I see nothing to match it coming from harness. and I have a black 6 pin connector as well as the blue 3-pin.. the blue 3 pin is the kickstand position sensor.. I viewed this as only option to get my bike starting with switch.. just dont want to seal back up not knowing what the red/white wire and 6 prong connector are responsible for. has anyone else done a gen 2 harness on a gen 1?
im not intimidated by the wiring.. just wondering how deep I am right now as far as the conversion goes.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
unfortunately no luck.. so now I am trying to replace the harness from rear to front.. 1986 to 2001 everything has matched until the junction box up front (aka spaghetti hell) besides the battery box and the solenoid, which absolutely do not fit.

kickstand position sensor, which I need to know the easiest way to bypass the safety feature, or whether or not the kickstand will fot on the 86 frame with the position sensor. the frames almost looked different there? couldnt tell.
1st for safety, I'd like to recommend keeping the kickstand sensor working. The reason for this is simple. The only crash that I've ever had in 50+ years of riding, was due to a great extent to leaving the stand down. A $20,000 life flight later, hopefully I'm wiser.
As to replacing the harness, did you test operating voltage while attempting to start the Rebel? This would be a very important 1st before doing so much work. Most likely the harness has only faults at the connection points.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
well, based on everything in this thread, testing 3 different solenoids and starter switches.. this is light work. I checked every ground besides the really complicated stuff. just trying to figure out what the difference is between the two.
also, the 1986 Rebel doesnt have the kickstand position sensor at all, so im not losing any safety features. it would be keeping it stock, if Im not mistaken.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
and Im (probably) more likely to get hurt from stalling out at a red light and not being able to restart my bike quickly than from leaving a kickstand down,

I appreciate and value your experience and your feedback has been good. with that being said.. I want to be able to start my bike normally more than have a kickstand sensor.

ps.. it fires up with remote starter (solenoid bypass) switch I grabbed from harbor freight.. and any other bypass method.. and it runs fantastic. I live in the Pittsburgh area. if anyone knows an electrical guy, id appreciate it, cause this is becoming a big headache.

also, I believe my operating voltage was fine. I was revving at idle and running without much light dimming or anything, and the battery would fire it right up. i tested the circuit at solenoid and also at the switch, and the solenoid wasnt even clicking.. never did, even with 3 different solenoids. (all 84-87 solenoids) .. most recent was $30 from ebay, oem, with 30 day return. it is a wiring thing undoubtedly. at least in my mind.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
honestly, those 2 things are probably equally dangerous, but thats not the point. I just want to know.. what is the 6 prong connector?

does anyone know what the red/white wire (from harness) is responsible for?

how about light brown/white, from odometer?

and I have the kickstand itself and kickstand sensor for the 01 with wiring and plug.. got it all as a parts bike. I meant to ask that.. will I be able to fit the 01 kickstand and 01 kickstand sensor on a 1986 frame?

* and please, if anyone knows how this 6 prong connector or (separate) red/white wire from this 2001 cmx250 harness match up with the 1986 cmx250 hardware, or why the light brown and white wire from odometer doesnt seem to match with this 2001 harness anywhere.. these are my main questions,

and I am genuinely needing help.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,478 Posts
1st gen Brown/White circuit is running light voltage source..
a branch runs into speedometer to power its internal lighting.
Brown/White also connects to Brown license/tail light circuit..

Have you unpluged the Green/Red ground side of starter solenoid and jumpered to frame ground while pressing start button? All the ground circuit would be bypassed diodes etc..

Reactions: Emil

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
There is a very nice gentleman that I got my CM200 from in Butler PA. He's on the www.hondatwins.net forum. They have many different types of twins, but of course, this forum is normally best for the Rebels. Just a suggestion. His handle is Dr Acula he may be agreeable to help, living fairly close.
It's almost 2 hours away for me. Oops! 3 hours.

·
Super Moderator
1987 CMX250C AC
3,478 Posts
leave the kick stand bs alone.. it's interconnected to the 2nd gen CDI which is different form the 1st gen CDI..
2nd gen junction box is quite different from 1st gen. in the connectors used..

You ask about wire colors but don't indicate which harness you are speaking about..
Both generation wire diagrams can be found in Electrical sub-forum

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
uls
1st gen Brown/White circuit is running light voltage source..
a branch runs into speedometer to power its internal lighting.
Brown/White also connects to Brown license/tail light circuit..

Have you unpluged the Green/Red ground side of starter solenoid and jumpered to frame ground while pressing start button? All the ground circuit would be bypassed diodes etc..
is this a viable way to bypass the ground circuits until I can get to this mechanic appointment on 11/3?

really just want it to run normal til then.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
leave the kick stand bs alone.. it's interconnected to the 2nd gen CDI which is different form the 1st gen CDI..
2nd gen junction box is quite different from 1st gen. in the connectors used..

You ask about wire colors but don't indicate which harness you are speaking about..
Both generation wire diagrams can be found in Electrical sub-forum

gen 2, 2001 harness..
attemping to install it on a gen 1 frame and engine..
have my gen 2 solenoid and everything.. just want to know if I can fit kickstand and kickstand sensor on this frame, and if this CDI is set up for gen 1 or gen 2 jets, while we are at it / if anyone knows.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts