Honda Rebel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brushes are worn down, thus the starter motor is being intermittent. It should be simple to unbolt the old brushes and replace them with new ones, like the manual says to do. This has been one problem after another.

1) I cannot find the brushes anywhere for an '80s Rebel 250. I looked on Bikebandit, and the diagram shows the starting motor from a 450, but not a 250. I can tell that the motor is different because the hot terminal is near the base of the motor, not near the shaft of the motor.
Question 1: Does anybody know where to buy the brushes for a 1986 250 Rebel?

2) If the individual brushes are not available, then I'll just buy the entire plate that the brushes are attached to. I ordered one from ebay for $12, it arrived, and I can see that it is not the same as what I have. Most obvious is that the brush polarities are reversed, so even if I could force this thing onto my motor, it would spin in the opposite direction! Apparently Honda changed starter motors on the Rebels around 1996. I've kept looking online, but I cannot find the plate-with-brushes for a 1986 Rebel. Even though they might be advertised as such, I can tell from the photos that some have 4 brushes instead of 2. I'll try to attach some photos, so you can see what I'm talking about.
Question 2: Does anybody know where to buy the rebuild kit / brush-plate for a 1986 250 Rebel?

3) Next I thought I could simply take the brushes off of this new ebay starter plate and transfer them onto my old plate. Nope. For one thing, the new brushes are soldered on, not bolted on, like they are on mine. And, more importantly, the brushes are a different size! The new brushes are physically too large to fit into the little spring-loaded slots on my plate, so that won't work.

4) I hate to buy an entire starting motor, since all mine needs is the two brushes that have worn down, as brushes naturally do. When I look online, I see some USED starter motors from 1986 Rebels on ebay. I don't want to buy another old one that probably has worn-out brushes like mine already does. And the only new motors I see are the newer, post-1996 style, where the hot terminal is near the base of the motor.
Question 3: Does anybody know where to buy a NEW starter motor for a 1986 250 Rebel?
Question 4: Does anybody know if the post-1996 motors are interchangeable with the pre-1996 starter motors? Do the mounting holes line up the same? Is the shaft the right thickness to hold the little gear at the end? Is the shaft lined up in the same spot to fit through the hole and keep the starter's chain the right thickness?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,438 Posts
Honda no longer makes the brushes or starter motor. 1986 Honda CMX250C A STARTING MOTOR | Cheap Cycle Parts

I'm not an electrician, but it seems to me it ought to be possible to carefully file down the oversize brushes you have to make them fit, and solder on new ends to bolt them on.

·
Super Moderator
3,768 Posts
Those starters are bulletproof generally. I had 20 of them and tried to sell on ebay but no bites. Nobody needs one. They got scrapped earlier this year during the massive flush of the garage. I have 1 or 2 left - the easy to find/access one is from a 1987? LTD with chrome end caps. How the hell did you burn out your starter? Did you drive home out of gas using the starter button for propulsion?

·
Premium Member
On 2 wheels: 1998 - Rebel 250, 1980 - CB125, 1982 - CM125, 1980 - CM200, 1987 - Yamaha FZ750
46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flitecontrol,
I might end up doing that. I just would rather get the correct part in the first place, rather than sweating all over the floor of my garage while I file, file, file, file, file the little brushes.

01-7700,
You discovered my secret for great fuel economy! Or, after 34 years of using a starter motor, the little brushes eventually wore down, just as they're designed to do. I'm kind of surprised they've lasted this long.

Cobra2,
Each link that you posted is either "not available" or is for the wrong year and wrong motor. Bravo.

·
Premium Member
On 2 wheels: 1998 - Rebel 250, 1980 - CB125, 1982 - CM125, 1980 - CM200, 1987 - Yamaha FZ750
46 Posts
<<Question 2: Does anybody know where to buy the rebuild kit / brush-plate for a 1986 250 Rebel? >>
This type is the only shown. thru all years, (with tiny differences in parts-numbers)

<<Question 3: Does anybody know where to buy a NEW starter motor for a 1986 250 Rebel? >>
Unless your rebel is seriously hacked....these will fit.: (Will also fit CM125-185-200 TwinStar/Custom)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts